39: Red Dead Redemption

Thank you so much to everyone who has read and commented on this! I might not respond to everyone, but I do read them all and your support means the world to me! Writing is something I enjoy a lot, even though I'm not the best at it, and whenever I post these stories I don't really expect reads on them so thank you so much for 12k reads!!!

I posted this here bc my note at the bottom is quite long and I didn't want my thank you to get lost within it. You guys rock, and I love you all! Enjoy the final chapter!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Here we are. Let's ditch the horses," we dismounted and Sadie handed a sniper rifle to me, "Find someplace high up."

I stared in disgust at the gun.

"You're the better shot, I mean," she said and I shook my head.

"That not what you mean," I growled, "I can still fight."

"I know, Ann, just..." she sighed, "Do it my way, sweetheart. It's for the best. Go to the lighthouse and cover us!"

I sighed and grabbed the gun, before running for the lighthouse. I searched for any sign of movement and saw a female being dragged into the boathouse. It had to be Abigail!

I found Sadie and Arthur and let my scope find the Pinkertons, aiming without a second thought, blowing their brains out, but not one shot made me feel better.

They both made it to the boathouse unharmed, but as soon as Sadie kicked the door open, she was jumped. Arthur, taken by surprise, stepped into the room and met a similar fate. It was time to move.

"Shit," I yelled.

I ditched the rifle and took out my pistol, running down the steps and into cover. I shot Pinkertons as they ran at me, my only goal was to get to my friends.

I burst in the door and shot the two men standing next to my friends. I began to untie Abigail when I heard a gun cock behind my head.

I raised my arms and turned around slowly.

"Calm down, Miss Wright," it was Mr Milton.

At that moment, a cough came upon me. I tried to control it, but it forced its way through and Milton smiled at me.

"That's quite a cough," he commented.

"Tuberculosis," I said, "I'll be dead soon, and you with me."

"You'll be dead, sure, but I'll be just fine," he said, "We would have offered you a deal, you know."

"I might be a fool, but I wouldn't have taken it," I said slowly.

"Not all of you have so many scruples," he said simply, "Old Micah Bell..."

"Micah? You mean Molly?" I said.

"Molly O'Shea? Sweated her a couple of times, she never said a word," he frowned, "Micah Bell. We picked him up when you boys came back from the Caribbean. He's been a good boy ever since."

"Okay..." I bent down to catch my breath, in shock, before lunging at him. We grappled with the gun, he was overpowering me, when a shot went off. Milton was dead on the ground and Abigail was holding a gun.

"Come on. All of you," she helped me stand up, "Where's Jack?"

"He's fine, Tilly's got him," Sadie said as I continued coughing.

"To the horses! Abigail, you get on mine. Ann, get on," she helped me onto Roach and we rode back, mercifully free from Pinkertons for the time being.