9: An Honest Mistake

"This here the Gray plantation?" I asked, riding up to the gate

"Yup. Caliga Hall. And that's as close as you're getting to it," the man at the entrance told me.

"Hey, I've been helping the sheriff with some trouble," I told him, "Wanted me to have a word with a few of the folks on the property here."

"Dammit, Leigh," the man growled, "Alright. Have a word... but I ain't got the time to help you. Try Master Beau if you must, he's down by the wood store."

"Obliged," I said, riding past him and onto the property.

I found Beau, reading a book behind the wood store.

"Hey, didn't I see you at the sheriff's office?" I asked. He had been going in when we were leaving.

"Excuse me, friend," he said and I raised an eyebrow.

"We friends?" I asked.

"Not yet, but here's hoping," he said, "We don't get a lot of travellers here, then suddenly there's a whole phalanx of mysterious but strangely helpful Yankees about the place."

"Is there? I asked.

"What're you doing here?" He asked me.

"I'm just looking for work," I shrugged.

"Well, looking for something," he raised an eyebrow, "Don't worry, your secret's safe with me."

"What secret?" I asked.

"I got a secret of my own," he ignored me, "The thing is, I don't care if you kill the whole lot of us and the Braithwaites."

"I don't wanna kill anyone," I held my hands up.

"I love her, you know?" I raised an eyebrow, "Penelope. But it's impossible."

"Well, love tends to be complicated," I shrugged.

"She's a Braithwaite!" He cried, "I'm Beau Gray, son of Tavish Gray, nephew of Leigh Gray the sheriff, grandson of old Murdo Gray. We Grays have been loyal to the state and murderers to the Braithwaites for so long now no one can even quite explain why. Beyond blind loyalty and stupidity, anyway. I'm supposed to be loyal to some nonsense, while she... she's amazing! She's like a woman from the future! She's like tomorrow, if tomorrow turns out fine..."

I fought the urge to gag. I could see what Arthur meant about it taking my mind off things.

"Well, I'm sorry for your predicament," I sighed.

"Would you help?" he asked.

"I don't wanna get involved in gang feuds," I explained, "It seems unseemly."

"I'll pay," my ears perked up, "We Grays have always got money. No brains, mind, but plenty of money."

"I'm listening," I said.

"I know she loves to sit out in the gazebo," he grabbed for something, "on the edge of the Braithwaite property. Take her this letter and this bracelet. Please."

I nodded to him and off I went to find Penelope. I managed to sneak onto the property pretty easily, they didn't guard the shorelines too well.

"Are you Penelope Braithwaite?" I asked the woman on the gazebo and she nodded, "I've got a letter for you. And this."

"From Beau!" She gasped and smiled. I had to admit, she was quite beautiful, "Oh, he is so..."

"Strange?" I asked.

"Well, yes, he is a little strange," she laughed, "But also so human. The rest of our families are stuck in the Dark Ages, or... well, I don't know, cave people perhaps?"