31: Much Needed News

It was Micah. And now the entire camp would know, even though I had not decided whether them knowing would be a good or bad thing. The choice was out of my hands and I felt like crying.

"What do you mean, Mr Bell?" Miss Grimshaw asked as everyone looked over at us, a mix of curiosity and confusion on their faces.

"Miss Wright is engaged, I guess I was wrong, someone will take her despite her soiled reputation," he leered at me, "Or did you gloss over that fact with him? Trick him into this?"

"I did no such thing," I growled at him as Dutch came over, a deep frown on his face.

"Is this true, Ann? Are you engaged?" he asked, his voice careful.

I sighed before standing up, looking over them all.

"Yes, I'm engaged," I said, "I wasn't sure when to tell any of you, but it seems that's been taken out of my hands. So yes, I will be married and I guess... if you want to come, you're invited."

"Congratulations!" I couldn't pick out individual voices, it seemed everyone was sharing the same sentiments. But I still couldn't remove the doubt that was settling in my stomach.

The one good thing that came out of it was the fact it lifted the spirits of the camp significantly, if only for a short time. It had been some time since celebrations had been appropriate, our return from Guarma was ruined by Pinkertons and John hadn't exactly been welcomed back with open arms. So, for once, things were nice, if I was having second thoughts.

"Ann, come and talk to me," a hand was placed on my shoulder and I turned to see Dutch.

I followed him silently, worried about what this seemingly serious conversation was about. I guess finding out your daughter had been engaged twice without you even knowing the men was something you had to have words about.

"So," he said when we were out of earshot, his hard face worried me, "Are you leaving us again?"

I stared at him in shock for a few seconds, my mouth agape.

"N-no! No, never, Dutch, he knows what I am, what I've done, and he doesn't want to change me or make me leave this life. I'm not abandoning you," I tried to stifle a cough but it exploded out, causing a small fit of it and leaving me slightly breathless, "At least, not by choice."

"I see," he sighed and his face softened significantly, "That's quite a cough."

"You don't know the half of it," I forced a laugh and he pulled me into a hug.

"Congratulations," he whispered before letting me go, "Though, I'd like to meet him. See if he's suitable for you."

I laughed at him, shaking my head slightly. I was seeing the old Dutch return again, and I hoped it wasn't only for this moment.

"You've met him before," I told him, "At the mayor's party, he was the man I was talking to when you interrupted. But, if you really want, I guess I can take him here before the wedding."

"Certainly," he smiled at me, "But... you said he knows everything about you? Who you are, what you've done?"

"At first I lied," I sighed, "But, when things started getting serious... after what happened last time, I didn't want someone else in danger. He told me he didn't care, that it was his choice. Then, we came back from Guarma and... and I saw him again, told him what had happened, again he said he didn't care and proposed to me this afternoon but... Have I been a terrible fool? This whole thing just seems so selfish of me, it's not fair on him!"

"Ann," he grabbed my hands and sat me down, "I've been around for a long time, and though it might surprise you, I have learnt a thing or two in that time. If you really love this man, and he is willing to take all that comes along with you, you deserve this happiness. You are never selfish, Ann, you think too much of others sometimes. So take this opportunity, don't let it pass. If this will bring you happiness, it is what you deserve."