16: No, No and Thrice, No

At the jail, they mockingly explained that I had assaulted a high ranking politician. They were proud of the fact he constantly gave them money to do his bidding, and I knew this wouldn't end well for me.

"He's called for you to be hung," one lawman said simply, "First thing tomorrow."

"Is this how you treat all guests in Saint Denis?" I growled, but I was scared. I thought it'd be a case of a slap on the wrist, maybe a few days in prison, then released. Not execution!

"Just the ones who break the law," the lawman growled back, "You'd better rest up. Big day tomorrow."

I prayed that whole night the wall beside me would blow up like before, but I knew it wouldn't. We'd made too much noise last time, nobody was coming to save me.

The next day, I was dragged to the gallows. There was a fair turnout, but I was relieved to see my parents weren't part of it. I couldn't imagine their faces if they saw me about to be hung.

The lawman stated my crimes for the crowd and announced I would hang by the neck until dead. I couldn't see Dutch or anybody else, I was alone. Nobody was coming to save me, but perhaps it was better that way. I knew I deserved to be hung, not for the crime I was accused of, but for all the rest of the things I had done.

Did I want to be saved? I wasn't so sure anymore. It wasn't the most peaceful end, I would have much rathered dying in a gunfight, but the life I led meant I wasn't allowed the choice. I wasn't giving up, if I was given the chance I would fight to the bitter end. I was just accepting the inevitable now. I had run for too long, and my time was up.

Just as the lawman stepped to the one switch that would decide my fate, I saw a glint up on one of the rooftops. Was that a gun? Did it matter anymore?

Not to me, I allowed my eyes to fall closed. Death seemed such a peaceful idea, I was ready to welcome it with open arms. It would be a damned big adventure, that much I knew. Nobody knows what happens, and I was excited to finally find out.

"Wait!" I heard a yell, my eyes snapping open once more as I recognised the voice.

I didn't have time to think about it when the ground beneath me gave way. The rope tightened around my neck and I gasped for breath, my legs kicking desperately to find some purchase, acting of their own accord.

"That's my daughter! You let her down!" it sounded like my father?

The next moment, I was on the ground, struggling to stand. Someone grabbed me and helped me up. My head was spinning, my mouth dry. I heaved in deep breaths, drinking the air like it was water running down my throat, relief washing through my body. But was I truly relieved?

"We're sorry, Mr Wright, sir," someone was saying as my hands were untied, "We didn't realise..."

"Yes, well, now you do. You bring her stuff to my house, now!" my father supported me as we walked away, my mind still spinning as to what the hell was happening, "Don't worry, you're safe now. I'm taking you home."

I looked around and saw Dutch, pulling down his bandana, a dangerous look in his eye. At least I knew he was going to save me, despite the wrath that my father intervening would incur. But that was the least of my worries, I was still reeling from my brush with death. The feeling of that rope tightening around my neck, the air being forced from my lungs would stay with me forever.

"What happened?" My father asked me, leading me to the house.

"I came across a woman being... brutalised by this man," I sighed, my throat aching, "I stepped in, he didn't stop, I punched him. Once. He called the law and they took me in. I thought it would be a slap on the wrists, maybe a few days in jail... I didn't realise the law were in this guys pocket. But how did you find out?"