36: My Last Boy

"Miss Wright," Rains Fall was there.

"Ah, its Mrs Taylor now," Arthur corrected him.

"Well, my congratulations," he offered me a small smile.

"Thank you," I smiled back, "How can I help you?"

"I'm sorry to impose on you again," he sighed, "But I believe I've made progress brokering peace."

"You have?" I asked, glancing at Charles with surprise.

"I believe so," he said, sitting down in a chair that Charles offered him, "Colonel Favours has agreed to a meeting to discuss, maybe resolve, his alleged grievances and mine. Now, he has lied to me more times than I care to remember, but maybe this time, he must want peace. Why could he possibly want to humiliate us further?"

"We got words for his kind, but they're colloquial," Arthur commented.

"Perhaps I could make one last request," Rains Fall continued, "My men are not allowed to carry arms."

"You want us to keep the peace?" I asked, my eyebrow raised.

"Yeah, it'll be a lot of dull talking and ceremony," he nodded, "But I feel with some non-tribe members present, their chances of lying or worse will be reduced."

"Will you, Ann? Arthur?" Charles asked.

"It ain't my business, brother," Arthur sighed.

"No. But it is mine," Charles told him, "Do it for me?"

"Charles, I got..." Arthur began to argue.

"I saved your life," Charles reminded him, "Do it for me."

"Sure," Arthur relented, and I also nodded to show my agreement.

"You owe this man," I laughed, "Not many people can convince Arthur to change his mind. You should have him do your negotiations!"

"Let's go," Charles grumbled, leading the way to the horses.

"This way, I have men meeting me there," Rains Fall led the way once we mounted up, "Thank you for doing this, all of you. You have already done so much."

"I wish we coulda done more to control the situation," Charles sighed, "Dutch shouldn't have gotten involved."

"My son has a mind of his own... too much so, in fact," Rains Fall replied, "I just hope Colonel Favours can be reasoned with. I am not asking for very much, but when our people are sick and hungry, and we find our medicine and supplies are being deliberately withheld. How can we not view that as something personal? When they destroy our sacred sites? How can I convince Eagle Flies and the others that they shouldn't fight back?"

"Maybe that's part of the reason they're doing these things," I said, "Because they want you to fight. To be able to say, look, see how these savages behave?"

"Perhaps," he sighed, "Mr Morgan, thank you for helping Captain Monroe to retrieve those vaccines. He will be at the meeting and is one person who knows the true situation, at least. I still have hope that we can come to an agreement."

We rode in silence for a while, meeting up with Rains Fall's men just before the meeting point. We finally arrived at the army camp that was to be used for the meeting, dismounting and hitching our horses.

We followed Rains Fall to where Colonel Favours was sat, waiting for him. Two other men were also at the table, one I assumed was Captain Monroe, the other I had no idea.

"Colonel Favours... Captain Monroe," Rains Fall greeted them, "We come in peace."

"Hello again," the Colonel said, "Who are these three?"