21: Revenge is a Dish Best Eaten

All hell broke loose at that point. Well dressed thugs pooled out of the mansion, running at us and shooting wildly, it would only be luck rather than skill that allowed them to actually land a hit at this point.

"Rain hell on these sons of bitches!" I heard Dutch yell.

The six of us together were too much for Bronte's men, who knew where the shooting was coming from but not exactly where we were. We were well hidden, the shots barely even grazed us despite the volume of them.

I pushed forward, John and Arthur covering me, and took out the last few who had stepped out onto the porch.

"This is not over yet!" Dutch said, running to me, "Head into the house."

The doors were locked tightly, I shot the lock and kicked it in, the others ready to fire at anyone on the other side.

"We got more inside!" I yelled, quickly taking cover behind a wall.

The men inside looked out from behind walls in a predictable fashion, so I left my cover and walked through the hall, taking them out as I saw them. I was known as a great shot for a reason, my speed couldn't be rivalled. If I was a male, perhaps I could have become the next great duelist.

"I'm heading upstairs!" I yelled to Dutch.

"Spread out, everyone!" Dutch said, "He must be hiding somewhere."

I dealt with the thugs as I saw them, hunting in every room for any sign of Bronte.

I stepped into the bedroom and Bronte popped up, his gun aimed at my face. He pulled the trigger before I could react, but luck was on my side and the gun was jammed.

He launched the gun at me and I ducked down quickly, hearing a groan as it hit flesh behind me. I turned to see Arthur holding his face, and turned back to Bronte.

"Okay, okay, I'm sorry, friend," Bronte spoke quickly, "Name your price! Name your price, every man have a price! Okay, no, I surrender, I-"

Arthur had stood up and launched himself at Bronte, punching him square in the face and knocking him to the ground. I nodded my approval, it had been a fair right hook.

"I've been wanting to do that since the moment I laid eyes on him," he growled, "After what he did to you. That felt damn good."

"Should we kill him?" John asked, appearing beside us.

"Nah, let's take him to Dutch," Arthur said as John picked him up.

Suddenly, there was the sound of gunshots and whistles.

"Shit!" I said, running ahead, "The law is here."

"Let's go, come on!" Dutch yelled.

"Come on, Wright, we're getting the hell outta here!" Bill yelled.

"Go, John, we've got you covered," I said to him, shooting wildly at the direction the lawmen were.

I covered him until we got to the wall, where we tossed him over to Dutch and leapt over ourselves, heading for the dock where Thomas was waiting for us. Dutch dragged him to the boat and dumped him in the front, then turned around, looking stressed.

"Come on, Lenny," he groaned and I realised we were missing one person.

Luckily, Lenny appeared the next moment and we pushed away from the dock, the law weren't through to us yet. We all caught our breath, I was glad that was finally over. But the next thing was what the hell Dutch planned to do to Bronte.

Dutch slapped Bronte on the face to wake him up, and he stared at us, confounded.

"Hey, big man," Dutch grinned at him, "We gonna ransom you or what?"