chapter two | prisoners and visitors

I'M CONFINED BACK in my tiny cell, which contained nothing more than toilet to relieve myself, when needed. There was no bed, no form of warmth after they stripped me of my cloak, and all I had was the sunlight streaming in through the small window, which was hardly warm. It was only two meters wide, but even with that space, I stayed in the corner closest to the window.

I winced as I lean into the wall, my fresh wounds stinging. The king wasn't joking about the lashes - I mean, he was the king, he could do anything to me, even if it seemed inhumane. Ten times, leather hit my skin, leaving a mark each time. My white shirt - which was fresh about a week ago - was quickly stained with red and growing stiff. Soon, the shirt would be uncomfortable against my skin. They'll probably have me in another, royally approved, jumpsuit by the next morning. But for now, I had to deal with this.

Of course, my punishment was easier in some cases. I had aquantensies that were sentenced to fifty, even a hundred lashes, which often resulted in their death. I guess the king had some sort of respect for women. But my punishment would last for days and days, until the king decides what to do with me, or I die from my wounds.

The latter was unlikely. I just had time at this point.

Hours passed. I did nothing. I couldn't do anything, even if I wanted to. There was nothing to do, plus, I could barely pick myself up with my injuries, wincing when I make the slightest of movement.

Noatra's greatest assassin was actually weak, but no one thought that about the girl behind the cloak, did they? I'd always be a monster, and they wanted me dead.

As the sun set on the kingdom, I drew in a sharp breath. I've spent the last week in the dungeon, but I was able to take the time to plot my escape. Or my death, whatever came first. I didn't take my opportunity to run, and I wasn't going to be executed. I was stuck here, for an unnamed period of time.

I was an idiot, and I knew that, but I had another plan, but that could easily fail.

Death was an easy escape from this, but death wasn't an easy task for me. I'll be left here to suffer.

Maybe that's why the king didn't sentence me to execution. Because he knew, based on the name I gave him. At least, he should know. If he doesn't, then...

My thoughts about the king stopped. The sun was gone now, a cold, dark night replacing it. The stars that were once seen so clearly in the night sky was now only specks of light, the rest covered by layers of light pollution. The ancient castle and traditions of the government system didn't stop the kingdom from advancing, with glass skyscrapers filling the skyline. The blinking lights from the office buildings and condos could easily be stars in the sky.

And in the distance, I see the brightest white star, recognized by thousands in the kingdom. Auxillium's star was creeping towards the ruins of its kingdom. The clock was counting down, and no one knew what was going to happen on the day. Frankly, no one cared.

Auxillium was always the coldest, and with it being so close to Noatra, even the early days of September felt like a cold November evening.

And that was when the tears filled my eyes. At that point, I didn't even know why I was crying, but knowing that I was going to be locked in here, unable to do anything about what's to come, if anything was to come, that scared me. I didn't belong in this cell - no, a lie, because everything I did these last couple years makes me the perfect person to lock up, but I can't be locked in here... not when it's so close...

I was an idiot.

"Victoria, what are you doing?"

I heard the sharp whisper enter through the corridor of cells. My ears perked up and I wiped the tears away, not wanting to show a sign of weakness. Victoria, the queen's name. It had to her that was in the corridor.

And behind her - the king, mostly like, who called out her name.

In seconds, my prediction was right, with the queen walking in front of my cell, her left hand shakily wrapping around the metal bars. A shawl was wrapped around her shoulders, a lamp in her right hand. She looked at me, eyes bewildered, and just stared. Head against the wall, I stared back. There were a million thoughts running through my head, hers probably too, yet we both stayed quiet.

"Victoria, are you crazy?" the king's voice was less authoritative, compared to earlier today, and more like what he sounded like on a day to day basis. His hand immediately went to her side, trying to direct her away.

Following them was a boy, younger, his father's features present on his face. Prince Lionel gave me one quick glance, then turned back to his parents, disgusted by me, the prisoner. The queen gave her son a disapproving look, not enjoying the fact that he followed the two adults into the dungeon.

"Victoria, come on-"

"One second, okay?" The queen brushed away her husband's hand, looking back to me.

"Mum, you know, if I were in your position, I wouldn't have wanted to see the murderer of my parents," the young prince said. "Uncle Lysander will know what to do with her."

Lysander, Captain of the Guard.

When she doesn't move, the king adds on; "Lysander will deal with her, you don't have to worry, Victoria. The two of you will be in peace once again."

"You could've just sentenced her to be executed," she said quietly.

"I thought your brother could use a say in her fate, but for now she'll be here. She won't harm you. Let's go, love."

Her eyes still didn't move off of me. "We all waited," was all she said.

The king and the prince looked at each other, worried expression on their face. They wouldn't know what she was saying, but I did. I knew what she was talking about. Again, breaking down was something I wanted to do, but I didn't move. I was surprised I wasn't even scolded yet, because surely that would get something out of me.

"We all waited..." she repeated, still struck. "You're an idiot, Covington. You're stupid and you don't care about anyone around you." She stuttered with every word. She didn't mean any of it.

Finally, the king got her to move her feet. She moved slowly, her head occasionally looking back, catching glimpses of me. My eyes followed her as she moved out of sight. It also stared as the king shot me a dirty glance, but other than that, not acknowledging me at all.

Lysander will deal with her.

For my sake, hopefully not the way the king would appreciate.