chapter eleven | eavesdropping

THE KING OF NOATRA sat on the edge of his wife's bed. Though being married and living in the castle for ten year now, the queen refused her brother to touch anything in her old room until she was absolutely certain she wouldn't be coming back to her home if she had time. Turns out, she had trouble leaving place alone - and leaving her brother in charge alone.

The queen-sized bed, along with everything in the room, was the queen's, and the king respected that. For the most part, he did respect his wife and her choices and what she does as her position as queen. He didn't even mind when she spoke her mind.

Tonight was just a horrible exception.

The King of Noatra took the opportunity of being in his wife's room to his own benefit, knowing that her sister's room was just beside her's. Vera Carmicheal wasn't as quiet with her conversation with Atticus Rockfeller as he would have thought for the girl. But the king was able to hear each word.

The king had his suspicions when Vera was younger, born to the wealthy couple. As she grew, and went missing, his suspicions only grew. Though seeing the criminal at the trial threw him off at first, her features and the name she gave him only confirmed his suspicions. The king wasn't as oblivious as others thought.

The last thing the royal wanted to do was lock the young ruler up, but he had to do what was right for his people - at least until he was able to give her a proper alibi. But he knew his wife and the Captain of the guard would figure something out to break her out. The siblings were all alike: strong headed and rarely didn't get what they wanted. The king just had to play his role right for the sake of his people.

"Please don't tell me you were listening in on to their conversation, Pheon." Victoria entered the room, cradling the newborn in her arms. Two days in the world and she's already had the experience of a lifetime. The baby was fast asleep as she placed her in the crib. "You may not be fond of her, but please give her some privacy. She's just a girl."

The argument only hours ago said something else of what the king thought of the girl, but Victoria seemed to have been ignoring the arguments entirely. Ten years of their marriage, and the king hasn't built up the courage to ask her about her family history. The king bit his lip - maybe tonight was the night.

"If you aren't ready to go to bed, love, is it alright if I ask you something?" he asked. He always asked before asking her anything before bed. He knew the queen - and if it was something serious, she's be thinking about it all night. "I'm sorry about earlier," he added, even though he apologised before.

The queen walked to her closet, placing her robe on one of the hangers. "If you must. It's been a hard day on all of us, and I don't think any of us will get to bed easily."

The king took a moment before asking his question. "Did you know anything about the six kingdoms before... tonight. Did you know about Vera's heritage and who she really was. Queen, I mean."

The queen pursed her lips. "Princess was just supposed to be Mum and Dad's nickname for her. I didn't know she was actually one. The six kingdoms... it's been a while since I heard of them, but they were just bedtime stories for my and Lysander and Vera... well, I guess they told them to Vera as more than that."

The king didn't say anything. The queen continued.

"Lysander and I always knew they were hiding something from us," she said, playing back memories of her youth. "They were so protective of Vera, probably more than either of us when we were her age. She got sick easily, you know, if that means anything."

"So your parents told you nothing?" the king asked to clarify. Eight year old Vera was probably very wise for her age, with all that knowledge with her.

"Not to me and Lysander, no. I'm sure it's different for Vera." The queen paused, looking at her husband. "Are you worried she's here to take your kingdom."

"She told the boy she didn't want to be queen. And frankly, I believe it."

The queen scanned her husband, but couldn't detect a lie. The king knew that she was eager to ask something as well, her fingers twitching. He gave her permission.

"Your ancestors stole the kingdom from my ancestors?"

"Because our kingdom and castle were burned to the ground, yes." The king didn't want to continue, but he felt obligated to. "Noatra was the most powerful of the six. Coronam was third when it came to power, after Auxilium - the boy's homeland. My ancestors wanted more."

"Did you know Vera was the rightful ruler before any of this? Did you know that I was part of the Carmicheal family, too? Was that the only reason why we were arranged to be married."

Could he lie? "I had my suspicions, but your parents and my parents arranged the engagement, Victoria. I had no part."

"You easily chose to marry someone ten years younger than you."

The king groaned. "Victoria, can we please not bring this up again?" It was a constant topic of their arguments, but was recently relighted again because of Vera's comments on her trial date. "Do you regret the last ten years?"

Her eyes turned somber. "No, no I don't. But there are some things I would have liked to change."

"Good." And the king genuinely meant it. All these years, and he finally knew that his wife didn't hate her position as queen, being by his side. "Please forgive me."

The queen planted a kiss on the king's lips, the warmth filling his body. "All's forgiven, but please don't hurt my sister for much longer. Think of any way to change her sentence. Or if you could eradicate it."

"I'll try, love." He leaned back in for another kiss. Warm, passionate, what some of his favourite nights were filled with. "Anything for you, Victoria."

The moment was broken by yelling in the house - actually, from the next room. "Vic? Can you come back? I don't think Vera's doing too well."