chapter four | life and death

THE CASTLE WAS LUXURIOUS, if I were to describe it simply.

The high ceilings had large chandeliers hanging from them, banners of red and black covering the walls. There wasn't a speck of dust to be seen, every corner of the carpet nicely folded. The place was buzzing with activity.

But whenever I passed by, the buzzing of activity stopped, replaced by quiet whispers and staring. A criminal was only ever allowed in the dungeon and the throne room for their trial. This was different. This was weird. This should be illegal.

I've been in the castle before, in the dead of night when no one is awake, and even before then. The castle in the daytime was nothing compared to the silent halls at night. This was weird to me, too. I was being dragged around the place I always risked my life to enter.

As I walked, I stumbled often. My head spun because of the lack of food, and I was unbalanced, to put it simply. I didn't want to be on my feet, but here were are. I was being dragged partially because I couldn't move myself.

The royal chambers were in the far wing of the castle - which I knew partially because of the many heists I had here. The walk was the farthest from the dungeons, so they would be as safe as possible if there was an outbreak. That wasn't good for me, but I don't think the guard cared.

We paused in front of the queen's chambers, where joyful chatter was heard on the other side. There was a child squealing, probably because of the new baby.

The guard opened the door and ushered me inside. The chatter stopped, everyone went silent, staring.

"Your Highness, the assassin, though I'm not quite sure of the reason behind this," the guard stated, hand still firmly holding me in one place.

My eyes caught the queen and her younger brother sitting on the bed, the queen clutching the newborn in a faded pink blanket. They gave each other an odd look, the queen giving one almost saying I told you so.

The king, on the other hand, looked furious. "I said no such thing, Sir Demetrius. Take her back-"

"Relax, Pheon, he said your Highness, not your majesty. And before you ask, yes, I did ask for her," the queen clarified.

"Victoria, she's dangerous! Why would you want her near your children, especially the newborn?" a woman sitting in the armchair stated. Lady Sophia, I assumed - Sir Lysander's wife. She held her son tightly after I entered. Her daughter, on the other hand, ran to his father.

The Captain rubbed the hair of the five year old, kissing her forehead, letting her know everything was going to be alright.

"This is ridiculous, take her back to the dungeon," the king stated firmly.

"Yes, please," I replied in response. I was already back out of the room when the Captain grabbed a hold of my arm.

"Not so fast," he said as he demanded for the key to my cuffs. The guard hesitated, but couldn't really deny his superior, so handed him the key.

"No, please, just take me back downstairs, I insist. Come on, I'm literally begging," I said, my breath growing uneven. Just take me back, I didn't want to be here.

The Captain removed my cuffs, placing them on a side table. "Sir Demetrius, you are dismissed, however for you-" he looked at me directly in the eye. "- I have some questions for you."

"Literally any time instead of right now is a better time for this," I argued. "I'm sure even the king would agree, and come on, he's the king. I'm a criminal-"

The Captain held a dagger between his fingers. "My sister brought you here for a reason, Amelia was it?" I pursed my lips as he said my name. "She probably has a good reason for that, right?"

"Maybe she's just an idiot like that," I said without hesitation, but the words did hurt. "I mean, anyone who just let themselves to be married off wouldn't be that-"

"What happened on Christmas, twelve years ago?" the Captain asked, cutting off my sentence.

I raised an eyebrow. "What?"

"What?" the king echoed. "What type of interrogation question is that, Lysander?"

The Captain didn't look back at the king, his eyes focused on me. "Well, do you know the answer?"

Of course, I did. But I wasn't going to say it here. I wasn't going to reveal that yet. Not in front of the king.

He was oblivious as it is.

"Maybe that's too hard. What about... what did Tori get me for my twelfth birthday?" He asks the question so casually, like he wants to ruin his reputation in this very moment.

Of course, I knew the answer. I looked down at the dagger in his hands, not saying a word. There were three names carved in the hilt of the dagger, one for who was receiving it and two of who it was from. I bit my lip.

"Captain, what is this nonsense? What are you talking about?"

The Captain sighed. "Your Majesty, eventually I'll be able to let you know, but not as of now... actually, I'd like to request if I can have Ms. Covington around with me, out of her cell, for the next couple days."

It was Sophia who objected. "Lysander, you're crazy. She's a threat. A menace. Where are you going to keep her, in our house? You're really going to risk our children like that?"

"You are welcome to stay here in the castle, Soph," he told his wife. Then he turned to the king again. "Your Highness, if you didn't want my input, Ms. Covington would have already been sent to be executed, but since that wasn't the case, I'd like to figure out her motives before further deciding her fate."

"You could probably interrogate me from my cell," I suggested. I didn't really want to do this now, out of all times. I just needed time...

He shoots me a warning glance. I know he was trying to help me.

The king hesitated, but agreed. "I trust you, Lysander, and if you break that trust-"

"You don't have to worry about that happening, Your Majesty. Now, if you can excuse us..." He grabs my arm, preparing to exit the room.

"Wait, I'm coming with you," the queen states. She was already rising from her bed, handing the baby to her husband. She grabbed her cardigan and swung it on over her nightgown.

The Captain sook his head. "No, Tori, you have to stay here. For gods sake, woman, you literally just gave birth."

Queen Victoria gave a glaring look. "Guess what? I'm older than you and I get to make my own decisions. I'm coming with you or you can't leave this room unless I let you. You just came back, don't leave me alone just yet."

Her informal tone made her seem like a sister, not a queen. And older sisters, through hard fought battle, could often get what they want.

"And on second thought, I think I'm bringing her with me." She grabbed the baby from the king, rocking her gently to stop her from crying. Queen Victoria kissed her husband on the cheek. "If you need us, we'll be in a nearby room, alright darling?"

"Victoria, I really doubt-"

Before the king could finish his sentence, the queen ushered us out of the room, closing the door behind her. Everyone left in the room was left confused, unaware of what just happened, but we knew what was going on. I knew I'd end up in this mess.

But this mess was part of the plan. This was going to get me out of my cell... for a time being, at least.

But...

The queen moved closer towards me. "Once we're out of earshot, Vera, you're going to get the worst scolding of you life."