chapter fifteen | the life of an elementary school dropout

LYSANDER DOES, indeed reject me.

"Come on, Lysander. Atticus dragged me here. I'm getting weird looks. His friend group already hates me. I don't need to be stuck here for a two hour lecture I didn't sign up for. I can help you with work. Don't you need to interrogate me?"

My words are loud, I realise. Students passing in the halls shoot even stranger looks when they notice me. If they didn't know me from first glance, they know me from my words. That isn't good for me.

"I'm sorry, Vera, I can't come to you right now. It's one class, and Tori already let the professor know that you might be joining the class for a lesson," Lys said. There's a shuffle of papers and a side conversation before he comes back on the phone. "Just one class, Verre. It's good for you to be out of the house."

"People are scared of me, Lysander."

"You're literally the queen's little sister-"

"That literally makes my case worse!"

"Bye Vera. Remember to return Att's phone to him." That's it. He hangs up.

Ugh, brothers.

I walk slowly in the halls, making my way to lecture room 504. I'm surprised the rooms in these halls were so small, actually, almost like a high school or elementary classroom. I know that JAU was known to have a bunch of classes with smaller class sizes, giving teachers more opportunities to help students. It was quite effective.

The professor was just about to start the class when I walk to the doorway. My eyes catch Atticus', who gives me an I-told-you-so look. At this point, everyone is staring at me - the criminal outside of her cell, standing in the doorway.

"Ah, Miss Carmicheal, your sister informed me that you may drop by sooner or later," the professor said, removing his glasses from his face. "An accurate day for you to show up. I'm pretty sure there's an empty seat by Mr Rockfeller and Mr Simmons in the back."

Mikayla raised her hand. "Professor, are you really just going to let her into the class. She could be dangerous, you know."

I make my way to the back of the classroom, very aware of the looks I was getting. At this point, I shouldn't be pointing it out. I'm just always being looked at. I pretend I don't here Mikayla's words, placing Atticus' phone on his desk and taking a seat next to him.

"You've made it very aware in the last few classes that you are quite concerned for the safety of people in the kingdom following the king's announcement, however it was Ms Carmicheal that helped your fellow classmate, Mr Rockfeller out safely," the professor explained. "And for that, Ms Carmicheal is very much welcome in this classroom."

"She murdered the queen's parents-"

I winced the words. Because suddenly those words hurt.

"And at the same time, she killed her own. Whatever fear and trauma you got from that event-" The professor suddenly stops, looking to me. "Vera, how comfortable are you with this topic? I won't continue if it makes you antsy."

"Continue your thought, Professor," I say, leaning back into my chair. Maybe I look uncomfortable - that's why he stopped mid sentence. Most people don't mind reminding me of my past actions. I let it slide with my siblings, because they're the two people that should be talking about this with me.

The professor gives a concerning look, but I urge him to continue. "Whatever trauma you got from that event, Ms Halston, know that Ms Carmicheal has to go through every day knowing what she did, and where her parents are because of her actions."

The words are nothing new, but the fact that they're said so calmly, without yelling... that's what makes it uncomfortable. History teachers get lessons out of every story. Mine is simple: you always end up living with the consequences of your actions.