chapter twenty six | ghost of you

MOM WAS STANDING in front of me, but I knew that was impossible.

Tori's curls and Lysander's eyes merged into one person, a long flowing dress covering her body. She looked almost... translucent, and I could see the wall behind her, through her. She looked at me, bewildered.

Footsteps came running down the stairs. If the screech of stone didn't wake up the rest of the house, then my scream did. Atticus was pulling himself up off the ground, and when I quickly glanced over at him, he was staring at the woman in disbelief.

"What the hell is going on?" Lysander asked, his voice raised. He took one look at the mysterious person, his jaw dropping. His mouth moved as he was going to say something, but no sound came out.

Sophia followed behind her husband. She looked like she wanted to say something too, but restrained herself. The room was quickly filled with people watching the stranger in shock, without being able to utter a word.

Lysander was able to find his voice before me. "You are not our mother. Our mother is dead."

"So am I, Sir Lysander, but I can assure you that I am not your mother." It wasn't much assurance. Both Lys and I probably would have been thrilled - confused, but thrilled to see our mother again. "I guess our genes have been prominent throughout history. I'm sure many have pointed out your sister over here resembles your mother almost exactly."

The figure turns back to me, and then her eyes fall to the ground, where I dropped the amulet and the crown. "I'd rather you be more careful with that, Vera. Our family has gone through a lot of trouble protecting that for you."

For me.

I bend over and pick up the jewelry. Our family. When I look back up, I face the figure. "Amelia Covington. You were the last ruler of Noatra before this all turned to shit."

She looked almost hurt as I described her as that. It probably wasn't easy knowing that you were the entire reason why a kingdom - or five - seized to exist.

If her ghost took the shape of how old she was when she died, then the queen died young. She couldn't have been too much older than me, maybe by a year or two. If you studied her long enough, you can see the scars from the attacks on the kingdom, the faint mark where they broke her arm before her death, and maybe underneath the dress, there were even scars from where her child was cut out of her.

"Correct, Vera. The kingdom fell while I carried it on my shoulders. But you are the one to regain that power. Six days, I assume?"

I gulped. "Why are you here? How are you here? Ghosts aren't real." Are they?

"I know you have your doubts, Vera, but I can't have you cower away from your fate. Your mother asked me to-"

"Our mother?" Lysander spoke, walking towards me until he was beside me. "Our mother could have come but she sent you instead?"

"The heavens have their own set of rules, Lysander. Your mother is waiting for both of you, and your sister in the afterlife, but not anytime soon. She can't see you face to face. I'm sorry." The ghost licked her pale lips. "But your mother, she asked me to tell you that she believes in you, and you will make an incredible ruler, Vera. But, she wanted to warn you... the dangers will not end once you're crowned queen."

She paused. I took the time to gather my thoughts. "Dangers... like... Ansen? What's he going to do. Will he find the last amulet?"

Queen Amelia Covington pursed her lips. "He already has."

I CAN'T BREATHE as I change out of my pajamas and into a dark part of sweats. I can't breathe as I strap a blade to the inside of my leg. I can't breathe as I load the gun I hid in my room and attach to my side. I can't breathe, knowing I wasn't able to find the last amulet before Ansen.