chapter sixteen | unwanted guests

"IT'S JUST A COINCIDENCE," Atticus tries to convince his friends as we walk through the halls. That history lesson was definitely not what I was expecting, and even more that that, I did not expect Atticus' current last name to be the one from two centuries ago.

He says it was a coincidence. We both know it isn't.

My heart pounds. I know I probably should've talked with the professor - who I realised, I didn't even know his name. He knew something. He knew something about me and Atticus. He knew our deepest darkest secrets, the truth the king's family has wanted to hide for decades on decades.

There was no way of him knowing. Unless...

Mom and dad never told me about the rulers of Alynthi, Caelum or Sylvaine. They were still part of the six, but not as power compared to the other three. The professor could easily be part of their bloodlines.

But...

No, that was the only possible explanation. That had to be the only way.

We were back in the courtyard. Att's been bombarded with questions, because now everyone believes the professor. Now they think Atticus could be a king. Mikayla is practically swooning over the fact that she could grow up to be queen.

If they last that long.

The War of Power was more vicious than what was explained in the lecture, but of course, the professor knew that. The bloodbath started with the king and queen of Sylvaine murdered in their sleep, slits in their throats. Coronam and many of their people - and citizens from other kingdoms - rallied against the other five kingdoms. It would seem like it was an unfair battle, with Coronam being the underdogs, but it was quite the opposite.

That's what stealing another amulet did to a kingdom. A ruler.

"Vera, you wanna go back home now?" Atticus asked, stopping me in my tracks. I was so lost in thought, I didn't pay attention to where I was walking, "I'm kind of tired. My leg hurts. There's too many questions."

I nodded. "This day has been exhausting. I did not expect that from a history lesson."

"Honestly, me either. That was a first."

We were alone. Mikayla was too busy talking with the others to snuggle with her boyfriend, which was good for me. Was this the right place to talk about my suspicions? Probably not, but I ask anyway: "You think the professor-"

"Professor Lorcan knows a lot, but I can't think of another way the professor could've found out that information," Atticus said before I could finish my sentence. "All the books were burned. Everyone else was brainwashed into learning a different story."

"What else do you think he knows?"

He shrugged. "Honestly, I have no idea. He's much older than us, of if he's actually... like us, then he probably would know a lot more than us, right?"

"Right." My heart was racing. My brain was racing. I needed to sit and think. I needed to process everything. Because if he truly was someone like us, we could use the information he knows.

So lost in thoughts, we don't realised the world around us until Mikayla runs into Atticus' arms, fear in her eyes. I looked around, people running behind pillars and hiding. Screams filled the air around me. And then:

There was an arm around my chest, and knife at my throat. Atticus' eyes widened, instinct making him ready to fight, but Damien pushed him and Mikayla away, taking their position in front of me. A sword was drawn in front of him.

Guns were a thing, but everyone knew swords were cooler.

"Where'd you take it?" Ansen hissed into my ear. I stay silent, watching the scene around me. Students stayed their distance; Atticus stepping back to join the crowd. Teachers exited the buildings to see what was going on, but didn't do anything past that.

I mean, I was the criminal. I didn't need help, did I?

I grabbed his arm firmly and flipped him over my back, getting out of the headlock. His blade scraped my neck, but it was dull and hardly left a mark, I think. When I touched it, there was just the faintest bit of blood on my fingers.

"I don't know what you're talking about," I huffed, pulling up my sleeves.

Ansen raised an eyebrow. "No, I'm sure you know exactly what I'm talking about."

He swung his blade. I dodged, leaning backwards and following through with a backflip. I heard my name being called, turning slightly just as I see Atticus tossing me Avery's sword. I catch it before Damien could make a move, holding it up in front of me.

"I'm truly clueless." But I smirk, because it's a habit. I know what he's talking about. He knows I know where it is.

I swing the blade, meeting Ansen's in the air. The clash of metal rang through the courtyard, sparks setting off from it. I don't get a chance to make an attack, because Ansen was so quick, attacking whenever he could.

"Ten years, Vera. Ten years and this is how you repay me?" Ansen sneered. I don't reply, taking a change to kick the sword out of his hand. It fails, with him moving too quickly, but I go for a swing of my blade to his arm instead.

I didn't care if I hurt him. Maybe he treated me like family for ten years.

But we aren't family anymore.

"Cat got your tongue, Vera?" he said, laughing. "Your moves aren't quite as smooth as they were before. You've grown weak, Vera."

I gritted my teeth. "You don't even know what it's like to be strong."

And as I say that, I'm kicked from behind and am on the ground, my chin hitting against it hard. The sword slips out of my hand, and Damien grabs it. Before I can turn around and get up, Ansen steps onto my wrist, putting his weight on it and presses the hilt of his sword against my chest. His leather gloves don't let the blade cut into his fingers.

"Want to tell me now, Vera?" Ansen asked, pressing deeper into my chest. At least it's not the blade. At least it's not the blade.

"No," I said. I use my other arm to loosen the blade off my chest. I push up, going for another kick into Ansen's gut. He leans over, clutching his stomach as I stumble into an upright position.

But Damien gets his hands on me and holds me in one place, firmly. Damien was big - a man of muscle that was hard to move if you don't hit him in the right spot. That's what happens to me now - all his sweet spots were out of my reach. My hands were pinned against my back.

"Which side are you on, Vera Carmicheal?" Ansen asked me once more. His golden eyes flickered as he stared at me. Everyone around me was silent, so quiet that I almost forgot I was fighting with an audience. "Are you on ours or theirs. Chose wisely, love."

I couldn't form words out of my mouth. I shook my head slowly, eyes not leaving his. He knew the answer, and of course, he wasn't happy.

"Bad move, love." And the blade pierced through my stomach.

I couldn't even find the strength to scream.