Impact

'Curtain opens, 

Marcus leaned back in his office chair, crossing his arms behind his neck, he waited for his laptop to boot up as night swallowed day, using a basketball lamp as his only light. The floor started rumbling, a dead indicator Jim was washing clothes and that he should get on with it if he was going to film this video before Jim called lights out. That was one of the few drawbacks of living with Jim, lights out before midnight that and Tanya's frequent visits, Niomi couldn't sleep over and the whole thing about cleanliness...ugh.

He quickly typed in the password 'Niomi' no shock there. He had several emails from Alfie, probably about Zoe. He made fast work of signing into youtube and setting up the webcam. Then he was ready to throw all his problems into a video, locking them there for a week or two until he felt like making another.

"Hey everybody, it's me...Marcus. I don't actually know why I said my name there...sorry...or not," he dug in the first desk drawer for the box cutter, not bothering to pause the video. "This is my pain reliever, Sally." He held up the side of he box cutter covered in white out where he'd scratched the name in," Today I let Finn Harries punch Troye," he pushed up the blade pressing it into his forearm right over another faded scar then dragged it across his wrist, painstakingly slow,"I saw my mom on the corner outside the drug store," he made another line deeper than the last, it spilled a trail of blood on his desk.

Marcus heard footsteps patting the staircase. Jim. "Crap." He didn't edit or make it pretty, just clicked the upload button and slapped the laptop shut hidding his arm under one of Tyler's University jackets just as Jim peered in.

"You alright?" Jim asked surveying the room quickly, Marcus struggled a nod hopping the blood didn't soak through the jacket. "Y'know you can talk to me about anything."

"You tell me that three times a day."

"I just feel like you think you're not wanted." He did. "You are...you live here too."

"I know, thanks for letting me stay."

"No problem, lights out." He started walking back to his room down the hall.

Marcus let out a sigh, shoving the jacket off.

"By the way, first aid kits in the kitchen." Dammit he knows, Marcus thought rolling his eyes. 

-+

 Marcus lay awake that night his arm burning too much to allow him to even close his eyes though that wasn't much of a problem, he never got much sleep anyways. In the shower he had to hold his arm side ways to keep the water from stinging the fresh cuts, then he dressed in jeans, a grey t-shirt, and a red beanie to cover up the mess of his hair. He made sure to wear an extra thick jacket.

"Did you eat anything?" Jim asked appearing at the kitchen table wearing his glasses on the tip of his nose, coffee in one hand, paper in the other.

"I'll pick up something on my way."

Jim shoved a ten in Marcus's hand not taking no for an answer,"Real food please." He nodded though he fully intended on giving at least five of those dollars to Finn Harries so Troye could at least attempt to eat his lunch.

The walk to Clarke High School wasn't usually long, but Marcus always took the route past Alfie's flat if it wasn't for him ninety percent of the time Alfie would probably just miss school altogether. Marcus pounded on the door a few times before Alfie answered in only his boxer shorts.

"Why don't you knock a few more times I'm not sure the neighbors heard you." Alfie said grabbing jeans and a striped shirt from behind the door.

"Really?" Marcus started to knock again but Alfie grabbed his hand.