o n e - broken

Author's note

This is my first time writing on Wattpad, so I hope you guys like it. And pls don't attack me for my writing.

--

I can be the one you love from time to time

Trudging into Northview High, the prison of my nightmares, I kept my head held down, ensuring I avoided eye contact. You know that girl in every high school movie, the loser with the wide-rimmed black spectacles and a tacky brown knit sweater that always hid behind her stack of AP textbooks. That was me, Allison Hill. I minded my own business and in return, I was invisible to anyone who had a GPA below 4.5 except my best friend, Madison Willows or Mads, for short.

I had no idea why a girl like Mads would ever be associated with someone like me. She was a typical barbie, along with a sun-kissed glow and salty beach waves, that had streaks of honey combed into her platinum locks.

As I glanced past the rusty blue lockers, trying to figure out which hideous box belonged to me, I turned to hear a familiar voice. God that husky, deep voice could only belong to one asshole, Ashton Woods. My ex-best friend now turned to mortal enemy slash infamous bad boy. The chiseled jawline and emerald green eyes were one of the million reasons why girls ran behind him in flocks. I get it, he's hot but are cheerleaders really that oblivious to his use and throw policy.

He smirked at me, "Hey princess". Any other girl would have swooned so hard, but I was immune to his charms. Rolling my eyes, I pushed past him and hurried to my first class.

You know Ashton and I weren't always like this. Actually, quite the opposite. He used to be my cliche boy next door turned childhood bestie until freshmen year.

Specifically, on May 21st, my fifteenth birthday. Just as I was about to cut into my vanilla, butter-cream frosted pound cake Ashton was nowhere to be seen. It was tradition that the two of us would hold the knife together, blow out the candles, and make a secret wish, that didn't remain so secret.

Where the hell was this idiot? The wind would blow my candles out and nobody has sight of him. Frantically running around, the only place I hadn't checked was the shed. And guess who was lurking around there, right next to the swingset we played on. His back was turned to me, while he locked lips with some blonde. Although I couldn't explain why it felt like somebody had just punched me in the gut so hard that I projectile vomited and then fed me that vomit. And that punch felt a whole lot harder when I saw the girl's face. The one girl who I despised the most. The kinda girl I wished would get run over by a garbage truck. The one and only Sophia Taylors, also known as the lunatic, raging bitch of Northview.

She had made it her mission to make my life a living hell since my first day at pre-school. Compared to her runaway ready looks and strawberry blond hair, I was nothing but a speck of dust on her Prada pumps. It wasn't enough poking fun at my pizza face and my pear-like shape. She had to ensure I left school every day with a waterfall running down my acne-ridden cheeks.

That was until Ashton barged into my life when that innocent yet utterly idiotic boy kicked his football a little too hard and it came flying into my newly moved backyard. He introduced himself as the new boy next door, while shyly looking down at the grass and awkwardly shifting his weight from one foot to the other. He glanced up, only to see my swollen eyes, "Why is a pretty girl like you crying?"

Nobody wanted to hear about my absolutely pathetic life story, the cliche geek getting bullied by the mean girl. I usually clammed up like a shell every time someone asked me about Sophia, but there was something different about him. It felt comfortable being with him, a feeling I hadn't felt before.

Without even knowing me, he had shown more affection for me than anyone had done in my entire life. And till that evening, I hadn't spoken about this hushed secret of mine to a single soul. But for some reason, a reason that would soon be discredited, my gut told me that I could trust him. Don't worry, you'll soon find out how wrong my gut was.

After that day, Sophia never bothered me again. I don't know what he told her or what he did to make her stop, but she stopped and it was all thanks to him.

FLASHBACK Ashton POV

Her tears were too precious to be wasted on some worthless, attention-seeking bully. Despite everything she had been through, she managed to put on a brave smile. How did she endure it all, without a single complaint? Even though she didn't explicitly say it out loud, I knew her tendency to bottle everything up had something to do with her family. Even if she wasn't ready to share it with me, I wanted her to know that I will always be there, just in case.

I could relate to her, considering I knew a thing or two about a broken home.

When I was eleven, I had come back home after an exhausting day on the field, only to see the main door left carelessly open. God, I knew my absentee mother didn't care about me but maybe she would care if a burglar broke in.

I dumped my bags near the mantle, I decided to go to the kitchen and make a snack out of the two or three things we had in our bare fridge. That's when I heard some strange noises coming from the living room.

That voice was too coarse to be my father's and anyway, those two barely spoke a word to each other. It sounded like my mother and another man. As I walked past, I saw my mother on top of this strange man and she seemed to be enjoying it.

I screamed out, "Mom, what the hell are you doing!"

She frantically got up, brushing through her hair and fixing her half-buttoned top. "Ashton dear, I didn't think you would be home so soon."

"What exactly is this stranger doing in our living room?"I asked, dreading the reply.

"Oh forget about him, it was nothing. Go upstairs and I'll meet you in a while."

Did she think I was that stupid? I might be only eleven but I had watched enough TV shows to know what was going on.

I walked towards the door and as I turned the knob, I said, "I'm going to tell dad. He has a right to know."

She gripped my forearm, with her fingertips piercing into my skin. "You will do no such thing, otherwise you know what will happen,'' she said with a sadistic grin on her sick face. I knew what would happen if I didn't keep my mouth shut. What happened every single time my father was out of sight.

.

Word Count: 1178

A/N: I know it was pretty short, but I hope you kinda understood a little more about the main characters, Ally and Ash. Keep on reading!