nine

[nine]
the girl who knew too much

ALEX RAN OUT of Stiles' Jeep as she made her way to Lydia and Allison, Stiles following, and Scott getting off his motorcycle to join the group

"It's the same thing." Lydia started. "Same thing as the pool. I got in the car heading somewhere totally different and ended up here. And you told me to call you if there's a dead body."

"Wh- you found a dead body?!" Stiles exclaimed.

"Not yet." Lydia answered.

"Not yet? What do you mean 'not yet', Lydia you're supposed to call us after you find a dead body." Stiles frowned.

"No, I'm not doing that again." Lydia replied. "You find the dead body from now on."

"How are we supposed to find the dead body? You're always the one finding the dead body!" Stiles exclaimed.

"Guys." Scott announced, stopping the argument before it escalated. "I found the dead body."

Alex frowned as she and the rest of the group glanced in the direction Scott was glancing in. There, laid the dead body of Tara, a police officer, slumped on the Beacon Hills high school sign.

••••

"Idioms, analogies, metaphors, and similes." Jennifer started, walking around the classroom. "All tools the writer uses to tell their story." She stopped at Lydia's desk, only to find the strawberry blonde sketching some kind of tree.

"Lydia, I wasn't aware you had so many hidden talents." Jennifer added, glancing at the tree drawing.

"You and every guy I've ever dated." Lydia responded, sending the teacher a small smirk.

"Oh, um, well, that was an idiom, by the way." Jennifer breathed a chuckle and moved on. "Idioms are something of a secret to the people who know the language or the culture."

She stopped again, this time, glancing between Alex, Stiles, and Scott. "They're phrases that only make sense if you know key words. Saying 'jump the gun' is meaningful only if you know about the starting gun in a race."

She continued. "Or a phrase like 'seeing the whole board'."

"Like chess." Stiles spoke quietly.

"That's right, Stiles." Jennifer responded. "Do you play?"

"Uh, no." Stiles shook his head. "My father does."

Jennifer sent Stiles a small smile before moving on once again. "Now, when does an idiom become a cliché?"

"I think I can get to Ethan." Scott whispered to Alex and Stiles. "I'm pretty sure I can make him talk."

"Why do you wanna do that for?" Stiles frowned.