Chapter 12

I'm trying my best to update this

Disclaimer: I don't own Marvel.

3rd Person P.O.V.

He would be ok- wouldn't he?

Tony flew through the air, carrying an unconscious teenager in his arms. More specifically, a certain spider powered teen. He flew right through the ceiling, not caring about the damage he caused.

"Please be ok, please be ok," he chanted under his breath. Tony laid Peter down on his bed in the med bay, quickly scanning him to check for injuries. He was lucky. None. Tony paced back and forth, trying his best to comprehend what had just happened. It shocked him to his core. He knew Peter had been cutting himself, but a suicide attempt hadn't even crossed his mind. He stiffened, freezing midstep.

Maybe suicide hadn't crossed his mind, but it had certainly crossed Peter's. The poor kid was clearly upset by something. Tony believed that he knew Peter well enough to know that he wouldn't have attempted suicide without a reason. But what had happened to make him resort to this? Tony didn't know, but he was in luck. Peter stirred in his sleep.

Peter's P.O.V.

I groaned, stretching a little. Yawning, I slowly opened my eyes to see a frantic looking Mister Stark staring back at me. Then it all came flooding back. I sat bolt upright, feeling the fear rise in me, creating a chill within. I watched as my idol's eyes filled with concern, and his face twist into a frown.

"Pete. Kiddo, you gotta breathe," he whispered, just loud enough for me to hear without freaking out any more. I let out a breath I didn't know I had been holding, and felt some of the chill disappear. I breathed in and out, in and out, steadily, until the fear crept back down. "Good job Pete. That was good."

"Mister Stark? Wha- what happened?" He winced ever so slightly.

"Kid, you tell me. I found you hurtling towards the city streets, and that's all I really know," he admitted. "Do you know why you decided to jump?" I tried to search for blame in his tone, but I couldn't find any. He was sincerely worried.

"You... you left." I looked down at my arms, frowning at the vivid marks and scars that danced their way across my skin. I closed my eyes, disgusted with myself and what I had done. Mister Stark didn't deserve any of this. I sounded like a spoiled child.

"Pete... I didn't want to wake you up. I got up extra early. Speaking of, I have a surprise for you," he grinned. "Wait here. I'll be right back." He left the room quickly, leaving me alone with my worst enemy: my brain.

Loser. He probably just said that to get away from you.

He's not coming back.

Pathetic.

"Shut up shut up shut up!" I screamed, covering my ears. "I can't take it anymore! Just shut up!" My face was red hot, and the tears running down my cheeks were no different. I sobbed loudly, trying to ignore the voices in my head.

Wow. What a baby.

No wonder nobody wants you.

Stop crying, attention whore.

I screamed out again, squeezing my eyes shut as tight as I could. I raked my nails up and down my scarred up arms, the physical distracting me from the mental.

"Peter!" Mister Stark yelled, running into the room. "Hey, kiddo, it's ok, just try to relax." He gently gripped into my arms, pulling them apart and carefully setting them in my lap. I was quite a sight- puffy eyes, tear stained cheeks, red inflamed wrists, the whole nine yards.

"Pete..." He sighed. "I don't know how I can help. I'm trying my best, and I promise I will continue to do my best, especially for you. I know life's been pretty rough on you lately, and I also know that this won't solve all your problems. What I'm trying to say here, kiddo, is that... I'm adopting you. I hope you don't mind." My brain exploded with new feelings, ones of happiness and astonishment.

"Adopted?" I managed to squeak out. I was frozen in place, unable to move or comprehend what was going on.

"Yeah Pete. Adopted. I have the papers right here, see? As soon as I legalize the document, you officially become my son. Whadda think?" His face was hopeful, and it made me feel good inside to know that even if my biological family was gone, I still had Tony. I smiled, a real genuine smile, in what seemed like forever. But as quickly as my smile appeared, it was gone.

"I don't know..." Everyone I had ever loved, had ever held close enough t I be family, had died. And if I got too close to Tony and the Professor, they would be gone too. But the difference here was that the city would never survive without its protectors. It needs Iron Man and Hulk and all the other Avengers. As much as I wanted to accept Mister Stark's offer, getting adopted would only create more trouble for them.I

"You don't know? Are you feeling ok? Cause you just turned down the opportunity to be the son of a billionaire superhero," he frowned. "Why don't you get some sleep. You can make a decision in the morning." He walked to the doorway, flipping the light switch as he passed it. "Sleep well, kiddo."

I know, it's still short. But hey, I had a reason to stop it here. The next few chapters are going to be shocking (if I go with my current plan), but I'm going to try and have a happy ending. Well, goodbye for now, and see you (hopefully) in the next week or so for the next chapter!