Chapter 8: Hilltop Resort

October 28, 4;01 PM: The scenery zoomed by as the car sped along the highway, flashes of different coloured cars travelling alongside them. At one point, Xian thought she saw an odd Hello Kitty one that stood out amongst the rest. Kind of an eye sore, really. The young girl pressed further against the window, trying to forget the events that happened prior by admiring the pretty world outside. The city was filled with tall buildings made of reflective glass, the sky was a beautiful ocean blue and filled with such pristine white clouds, and uniform trees stood to the side of the road, tall and unwavering like soldiers.

Gun gripped the steering wheel steadily. He was the one driving because according to Goo ("What the fuck? I'm not driving when there's a hot chick in the car! Here, you drive." "Fuck you, Goo. And don't touch her." "Yeah, yeah...")

So far, he was keeping to his word, but the kid herself was pretty silent, only leaning against the window quietly. Gun eyed her from the rearview mirror, taking note of her solemn expression. His eyes flashed back to the road in front of him.

"So," he said, breaking the silence, "How was the exams, kid?"

She groaned loudly and his smirk widened.

"Don't even ask," she muttered, "I know I'm gonna fail."

"That's too bad, isn't it? You should've studied more--"

"You know I studied! I can't cram everything in one week!"

She groaned even louder and buried her face into the wool of her sweater, earning an amused chuckle from Gun.

"Why the fuck does it matter anyways?" Goo drawled lazily, "Her grades won't matter back home."

"Since she has to do it, she might as well do it well."

"Pfft! Fuck exams!" the blonde shouted loudly before leaning further into his cozy seat, "It's all about money, anyways."

He flashed the kid a toothy grin.

"Who cares if you fail? You'll be fine as long as you take our position."

"Don't listen to the retard, kid," Gun shot, giving him the side eye, "Fucker probably failed everything."

"Hey that's not true!" 

Goo turned to Xian, a serious look in his eye.

"I'm smart."

She snorted.

"Hey, don't laugh! I am smart!"

"You're as smart as a trash bag, dickhead. You look like one too--"

"Fuck you, Gun!"

Xian giggled in the background, growing even more amused when Goo crossed his arms and pouted, grumbling unintelligent insults under his breath.

"Oi, how long is the drive?" he shot moodily.

They heard an aggravated sigh from Gun.

"Two hours? Maybe three," he said before meeting Xian's eye through the mirror, "You're lucky they agreed to meet late, kid. The guy we're meeting usually isn't this nice."

She shrunk under his stern gaze, staring at her lap.

"Oi, don't be mean to her, you asshole! C'mere kid!"

Xian glanced over at Goo's outstretched arms. With a huge grin, she shuffled towards him and leaned into his hold, purring happily.

"Aww, there's good kid."

Gun glared at him through the rearview mirror, only fuming louder when Goo flipped him off when the kid wasn't looking. He rolled his eyes before focusing on the road ahead, buildings around them becoming less and less urban.