Chapter 9: The Underworld

October 28, 8:37 PM:

"Ahh! Jong Gun! Kim Joon Goo!" the old gangster greeted loudly, standing up with outstretched arms as he smiled wide, crinkling the corners of his eyes, "A pleasure to finally meet you!"

"Seng Boon Kiat!" Goo announced just as loud, donning a grin, "Head of Seng Company. How are you?"

"Doing good! Doing good. Here! Come! Have a seat!" he grinned, and Xian got an eyeful of his golden teeth which glittered horribly.

'This guy owns a company?' she thought to herself as she eyed him up and down, 'He doesn't seem so bad...'

Once she looked past his outfit and his teeth, she began studying him further, curious that someone could fit the 'gangster' stereotype so perfectly. Something about his hair felt fake, yet he'd gelled it back to a nice swooping curl. His facial features were sharp, tanned skin worn and mottled with age with a dirty scruff cupping his chin, odd and curly. 

Then nervously, her gaze fell upon the dozens of men that littered the room. Some had tattoos, some had gold chains but what surprised her most what how decent everyone was dressed, all in semi-formal clothing. 

And they were whispering...

("They brought a Korean b*tch with them.")

("Hey, ask her to dance for us.")

("Korean girl. Must have plastic surgery. 'should've made them bigger.")

'Uh. I think the fuck not!' she thought with a fume, 'So rude.'

But she'd been expecting worse actually. She thought everyone would be muscular and built, over 6 ft tall, holding weapons with ripped shirts and be really scary, but honestly these people just looked like normal adults. Maybe a bit tougher than normal adults but--

She jumped in surprise when Goo pulled her along, quickly snapping her out of her daze. He giggled at her lightly as they were shuffled into the red seats which looked plum, the black table in front of them sprawled with all sorts of cans and bottles and glasses. She only recognised a few; Heineken, Carlsberg and Guinness, among the sea of other alcoholic drinks, all with fancy long names she could barely pronounce.

Mr. Seng grabbed a bottle, ushering for someone to get him three glasses.

"Whiskey or vodka?"

"Whiskey."

"Gin for me!"

'Isn't whiskey the same as gin? O-or is it Bourbon--' Xian frowned to herself, trying to remember what her dad used to say to her, 'You know what? I'm probably just dumb. They look like they know better--'

"How about for the girl?"

Her eyes rounded in surprise.

'Oh no. Do I have to drink?' (Forgot that she wasn't supposed to drink.)

She heard a round of laughter from Goo and she was hugged closer. He strummed her shoulder comfortingly.

"This one's not drinking. I need her awake for later," he added, throwing everyone a wink.

There were nudges thrown around the room, alongside whistles of approval but it was drowned out by an annoyed huff.

"Aiyoo... Don't be like that!" Mr. Seng tutted, "Let her have fun! Come, 美女!"

She watched apprehensively as the amber liquid sloshed inside the crystalline glass, filling it half-way through. He held it out to her, smiling kindly.

"Take!"

She blinked like a deer caught in headlights. Her eyes darted to Gun, looking for any sign that she should stop but all he did was sip from his drink silently.