Ch. 1

After his helmet comes off, the rest of the armor follows. Packed up neatly for good; what's left is the man underneath who is everything you imagined and more. At first, he's shy and painfully reserved around you and the kid. Still, like the past year or so, he climbs back into the little bed you share every night, holding you tightly in his arms. Everything is different, though as well. There is no need to be so guarded around you without the presence of the helmet. He doesn't wait till it's nearly impossible to see, to climb into bed with you, and He doesn't leave the bed early in the morning to make sure you don't see him. It's nice waking up to his real presence, his warmth around you.

You like to trace down the line of his nose and across his cheek in the early mornings. You're not sure if he's genuinely asleep or awake and amusing you. Secretly you hope he's awake and feels the light touches you feather across his skin. Skin, you're determined to get used to.

Combing your fingers gently through the silky tips of his hair has quickly become your favorite thing to do. He seemed to enjoy it as well, always humming softly in the back of his throat, eyes closing drowsily. It was a bit longer than you had imagined it to be. You had pictured him with hair on the longer side, never believing him to have a buzz cut or something similar. The soft brown hair caresses the nape of his neck deliciously, begging for your touch. You wondered how long it had been since someone had shown this man, your man, simple, loving gestures like this. He always seemed so touch-deprived when you laid a hand on his shoulder or accidentally brush knuckles. The realization of this made you conscious of the little touches. Bumping into him on accident in the tight confines of the ship, when you passed him, the child and your fingers grazed. Purposeful touches as well that you peppered into this new phase of life, such as letting your fingers dance across his jaw, holding his bare hand in yours, and maker... kissing him. Finally, after a year of being with this man, you were able to kiss him. Before he had taken off the mask, Dyn had confessed his feelings for you. Right after he took off the mask, he held you in his arms and had sweetly asked to kiss you.

The kid was surprisingly accepting of Dyn's helmetless face. You had expected the change would have scared the little troublemaker, but with or without the mask, he knew who his dad was. It was sweet seeing the little guy walk up towards Dyn requesting to be held, completely unphased.

"Now, you look like a real family." You had commented, grinning at the little boy cooing up at his daddy.

"Not without you," Dyn has said, an earnest look in his eyes. Your cheeks had heated slightly before you looked away. He steps closer, wrapping his free arm around your waist, "I'm serious (y/n). We're not a family without you."