Ch. 13

"Do you like this one?" you ask Kou, holding up the blue fabric for Kou to see. He grabs at the material from where he's wrapped against your chest, in a makeshift baby wrap, to keep him from running around the village market. (You had learned your lesson the first time you had visited the village. Force-sensitive children can cause chaos when they want.) You pay the vendor, putting the fabric in your handbag.

"Let's go find daddy." Kou's little hand wraps around your fingers as you search for Din in the crowded marketplace. You find him waiting just outside the market, "Find what you needed?"

Din nods, grabbing your hand as you start to walk home, "Did you, kar'ta?"

Reaching into your bag, you pull out a corner of the blue material, "I did. See?"

"It's beautiful."

"Right?" you put it back into the bag, "I think it could make a good blanket."

He glances over at you, "What for?"

"Maybe Kou... or," you squeeze his hand, "Another baby."

He suddenly stops walking, "Wait... Another baby? Are you saying you're--?" You grin at him. You've never seen Din Djarin in shock before, "Are you okay?" He continues to stare at you. You reach for his arm, "Din?"

"When... When did you find out?"

"I just did. The village has a healer. I've felt odd for a little while, and I just thought--" He pulls you into his arms, careful not to squish Kou between your bodies.

"You're pregnant," he says. You search his eyes, trying to figure out what he's thinking.

"Are you happy?" You caress his cheek.

"Of course I'm happy," he says, "I'm just shocked."

You laugh, "I can tell. I've never seen you like this."

Suddenly he's grinning, "We're having a baby." He pulls you back into his arms.

*

"Oh wow," Din removes his hands from your eyes so you can see the little wooden bassinet set up in your bedroom, "wow." You turn around, tears threatening to spill from your eyes. He grins, wrapping his arms around you to settle onto your lower back.

"Do you like it?" His brown eyes stare into your (y/e/c) eyes.

Cupping his face in your hands, you say, "Of course. I love it. I love you."

"It's not too much?"

"It's beautiful. You're so talented, Din," finally the tears do spill, "I love it."

*

The new blue blanket looks lovely against the honey-colored wood when you fold and place it in the bassinet.