Ch. 11

Kou lifts his arms to you making sad noises. "What's wrong buddy?" you pick him up, petting his soft ears. He babbles some more, his lower lip wobbling.
"Let's go find daddy..." you walk through the woods to where Din is working, "I think somethings wrong with Kou, but I can't figure out what it is."
"Is he sick?" Din wipes his brow, standing up straight to look at you.
"I don't know..." you lay the back of your hand against Kou's forehead, "He doesn't have a fever."
"Is he hungry?" Din walks towards you, stretching his fingers towards Kou.
"He doesn't usually cry when he's hungry." You look down at the little guy, "Maybe he's injured?"
Din stares at you, worry in his face, "Let me see him." You hand over Kou. Din softly talks to Kou.
"Wait! Look at his foot," you gently grab his foot, "Oh baby, did you step on something?"
"What is it?" Din asks, trying to look at Kou's foot.
"He's got a splinter. I need tweezers to get it out I think."
*
The two of you walk back to the house, Kou whimpering into Din's chest. He sets Kou down on the kitchen table.
"I need you to hold him Din," you walk towards the fresher, grabbing the medical supplies, "I have a feeling he's not going to enjoy this." He's got Kou back in his arms before you're back in the kitchen.
You gently grasp Kou's foot, "Sorry my lamb," you pull the splinter out of his foot as quickly as you can. The cry he makes causes your heart to fracture. You rub at his back soothingly.
"He's gripping my shirt pretty hard," Din looks down at Kou who still has his face pressed into Din's shirt.
"I feel bad," you can't help the tears that threaten to spill. You continue to rub at his back.
"He'll forget about it soon," Din assures you as he wipes away a tear from your cheek, "You helped him cyar'ika."
"He doesn't seem very forgiving..."
Din pulls you to his side, "C'mon, let's move to the couch till you two relax a bit." He sits you down on the couch, keeping you near to his body. A moment passes and your tears dry. Kou peeks at you from Din's chest. He doesn't look angry, just teary-eyed. He reaches out his little fingers towards you. Smiling, you touch his fingers.
"You don't blame me, little guy?" you ask him.
"Of course he doesn't," Din kisses your forehead, "He understands you're his mom. You're only looking out for him."
"Do you think so?" you look into his brown eyes, "Think he thinks I'm... his mom?"
"Yes. You play with him, teach him things, tuck him into bed," he lets you tuck your head into the crook of his neck, "You show him love. Why wouldn't he recognize you're his mother?"
You press a kiss to the underside of his jaw, "thank you, Din."