Ch. 12

You hear Kou babbling before the door opens, revealing a soaking wet Din holding an equally soaking wet Kou. The downpour had happened so suddenly as they were out exploring the wilderness around the house.

Din looks pretty cute with his hair plastered to his forehead, you think to yourself.

"I'll take him." Din hands you the kid. Kou shivers, clutching at your shirt, "He's freezing. Go get changed into dry clothing. I'll make a pot of tea." Din leaves wet footprints on the wood floor as he walks into your shared room.

"Are you cold?" you ask Kou, who has cuddled up to your chest, "Let's run you a warm bath." You set him on the kitchen table, filling the kitchen sink with warm water and soap.

Kou loves bubbles. You learned that the first time you had bathed Kou in this sink. His eyes lit up whenever baths were mentioned, practically jumping into the soapy water when he got the chance.

He splashes around in warm water, little fists grabbing at the bubbles as you soap up his ears. You leave him to play, filling up the teapot, and placing it on the stovetop.

"Tea ready?" Din walks out in dry clothing, drawing his hair with one of your towels.

"I just put it on the stove." You reply as you check on Kou, "Can you get Kou some dry clothing and a towel?" Din nods, disappearing into Kou's room. He sets the items on the kitchen table, sitting himself down by the fireplace, "Thank you, darling."

Kou coos as you rinse the soap off of him. You wrap him in the towel and drain the sink. You hand him your baby, who giggles and squirms in Din's arms, "Make sure he gets dried off. I'll get you your tea." You pour two mugs, setting one down in front of Din. Kou snuggles into Din's chest. He's struggling to keep his eyes open as Din rubs his hand soothingly on his back.

"He's so cute," you say over your mug. Din hums in agreement, taking a sip of his tea. You scooch closer, leaning your head against his shoulder. The sound of the rain hitting the roof is like a lullaby. You yawn, trying to conceal it behind your mug.

"We should get him in bed, so we can get you in bed." Din stands, offering you his hand.

Kou is fast asleep by the time you dress him and tuck him in his bed.

"Goodnight bean," you kiss him softly on the forehead. Din sweeps a finger across the shell of Kou's ear affectionately, following you out of the room.

*

He holds you close under the covers.

"Still cold?" you ask, turning your body towards his.

He presses his forehead against yours, thumb brushing against your cheek, "Maybe."