Ch. 17

You're awoken by your sore back. You tended to get achy these days, only managing a few hours of sleep each night before you woke up. You almost get up when you hear Din's voice whispering softly. You feel his hands on your stomach, realizing he's speaking to your stomach.

"Hey, little one." He brushes his lips softly against your pajama shirt. "I--uh, I'm your dad."

You try to hide the small smile on your lips.

"Your mom and I are so excited to meet you..." You can tell he feels silly doing this, but it's so sweet. "I never thought I would have you in my life. Or your mom. Or your older brother. But, I'm so happy that I get to be your dad. You will never want for anything. I'm going to make sure you are always happy, and warm, and safe."

There's a moment of silence before you feel the familiar kick of your baby. "Oh!" Din's hand touching the area and the baby kicks back, "are you listening little one?" Another kick.

"Din, stop riling them up." You grin, sitting up on your elbows.

"They kicked when I talked to them!" He sits up, hands pressed to your stomach.

"Babe, this is cute and all," you place your hand on his, "But I can't lay like this any longer." You sit up, adjusting your body slowly to lay on your side towards him.

"Is that better? Can I hold you?" He lays down next to you.

"Sure." He scoots closer to your body, your swollen tummy pressed against his abdomen.

His fingers run up and down your exposed arm, "Are you comfortable now?"

You hum, "You can continue talking to them if you want."

Din looks bashfully at you, "Did you hear all of it?"

"Yes," you cup his jaw affectionately, "It was sweet. You're going to be a great dad."

"You think so?"

"I know it! You're already a great father to Kou."

"This is different (y/n). I don't know how to be a father to this child."

"The only difference between this baby," you lace your fingers with his, "Is that this one is biologically ours. But the love we have for Kou is exactly the same for him or her. We're going to figure it out."

He smiles, "We will." The baby chooses then to kick directly towards where Din's stomach touches yours. "Oh. Is that what it feels like when they kick?"

Rolling your eyes, you say, "Go to bed, Din Djarin."

*

You fall asleep next to Din, his hand resting gently against your stomach.