Redemption

Author's Note: TROS spoilers (It's not really spoilers but I based it off of tv spots and what I hope happens in the upcoming movie, I totally understand if some of you wait to read until after seeing the movie!)

Rey took deep ragged breaths, watching the cloud of moisture splash across the floating Death Star wreckage. She knew he was coming, she could sense it, and the next fight about to occur. They had run into each other so much over the past couple days: Pasana, the fight on the Star Destroyer, and now this. It was tiring, the same relentless fight, and she was beginning to lose faith in herself and this battle. "Breathe Rey, just breathe. Let it guide you." Athena's disembodied voice reminded her. Stars, she wished she had had more time with her before she disappeared. If she had perhaps she would feel ready to face him again, but Rey knew the truth. She was never ready to face him, not while hope still burned in her. A large wave crashed over the floating debris when Rey finally saw the red crackling light of his saber through the mist. His towering black figure emerged from the spray of water, his inky black hair stuck to his face. He glared at her with such intensity it caused her to shake with anticipation. Their previous fights would not compare to this, no too much rage was building in them, waiting for this. She knew he was furious with her for taking Athena, blamed everyone for ruining their bliss, but he could only truly blame himself. Kylo twirled his saber as he stalked forward and Rey tightened her grip on hers, readying herself for the inevitable.

Kylo sneered at the sight of her, unwelcome painful memories surfacing in response. He had not seen or felt Athena through the Force in so long, not since the night they connected, the night she left. They're combined powers demolishing their sanctuary and their bond. Now he was just as alone as he was before. The only comfort he felt was the fact she was alive, just not with him. A twisted part of him hoped she was nearby, hidden with the Resistance members, and he could get just a glimpse of her face. But did he really want her to see him fight Rey? He knew he did not want her to see this side of him, the last time she had she left. All because he was unwilling to turn. How pathetic he felt, all this power he had accumulated and still he was nowhere near what he truly desired. He shook away the thoughts that plagued him endlessly and swung at Rey.

Rey easily deflected his strike with her lightsaber and the two continued their assault on each other, their inner aggression boiling over. Each hit was meticulous both dominating. She had grown stronger thanks to her brief training with Athena and Leia who had taken over after her mysterious disappearance. She swung her saber forward, spinning into the hit. Kylo moved to strike at her again, but Rey's hand shout out stopping his lightsaber in mid-air. Kylo struggled against the hold, but he could not free his saber. "Stop this Ben! Think of Athena!" Kylo's eyes softened for a moment, his struggling halting. If only she knew how much he did think of her, she never left his thoughts. Her smile, her confessions of love, her embraces, her leaving and denying their love. He swallowed thickly, "Don't talk about her, she hates me!" He had dared to ask her to join him even when he swore to himself he never would, not again. That was how he lost her the first time, he never intended to repeat that. Those glowing yellow eyes still haunted him, the look of hurt on her face when he refused to come, the anger that arose when she told him they were nothing. How could she not hate him? He hated himself. Rey scoffed, her hand still suspending his saber. "Maybe she wouldn't if you hadn't put that bounty on her head!" Kylo shook with anger at her reminder. "I told you I would never do that!" Rey only rolled her eyes, tired of his lies, her hand releasing his saber. She knew she was not going to break through to him, not when he continued to deny everything. Kylo was quick to resume his attack on her, his pain driving his assault forward. Rey dodged it and the two fought across the wreckage, wobbling at the shift in the water and slippery surface. Clash after clash the two were relentless as Kylo heard a soft echo from beyond. "Ben." The voice was soft, he knew it better than his own, Athena. The distraction tore his attention away from the fight, his brown eyes scanning the waters for the brunette he loved so dearly. Was she here? He found nothing beside the traitorous Stormtrooper and another young woman standing beside him, their eyes trained back on them. She was not here, he knew that.