Chapter 3 | When I Left Him

"It's so ironic how I look at you, hoping for you to look back at me, but when our eyes meet I look away, because I don't want you to see how much I need you."

**********

Deep breaths

Deep breaths...

In. Out.

In. Out.

My mind was flooded with questions. How in the flying hell did I not realize that this was the Royal Pack? How did I even end up here? Why was my heart racing and why was my heartbeat so audible? Did he recognize me? Why was he unaffected of the mate pull? Why does he look so good?

Okay that last one was probably my wolf's.

His eyes gleamed deep sapphires. The inky black hair ruffled, making it harder to look away. The barely there stubble framed his lips, which were set in a deep scowl. His forearms were straining against white shirt's rolled up sleeves.

He seemed to be in a trance as he had locked his eyes with me. Call it the bond, his gaze had me flustered and speechless. My cheeks burn so I quickly averted my eyes. Noticing my response, he too moved his sight and stared ahead of me.

'Why did you say that that she doesn't bear a scent? Could you not you feel it? It is quite strong.'

I must have left my mind linking intrusion open with regard to Jake. Probably the reason I could hear him mind linking to his Beta. Hold on, he sensed my scent! How was that possible?

I did not have a scent, or did I?

'What do you mean, Rick? Neither of our guards nor me sensed her scent, and here you are, telling me she has a really strong scent,' replied a confused Jake.

"Alright, I assume you are Blythe Archer, right?" Maverick asked out loud, breaking the silence as he took his seat at the other end of the table.

Did I mention my last name was Archer to them? I did not think so. That meant he remembered my name. But curiosity bit in and before I knew it, I found myself asking him out loud, "I don't remember me informing neither you nor your men my name." He scorched me with his glare before his reply did.

My cheeks burnt in silent humiliation and I regretted the query as soon as it slipped off my lips.

"Not a name I could forget, eh?" I bit my lip in embarrassment as I understood that he remembered the incident very well.

'SHE IS YOUR MATE?!' The beta yelled through the mind link as both of us visibly flinched at his amplitude. I assumed that Maverick had mentioned his mate as Blythe Archer. I waited for his response to Jake's exclamation. But my heart sunk low at his reply. 'Correction Jake, she WAS my mate.'

Tears threaten to pour out at his revelation. I quickly look down at my hands. I hold back my tears as I try to compose myself. In which attempt I deliberately fail because a traitor tear rolls down my cheek. I don't notice the pin-drop silence until my single traitor tear drops on the massive conference table and creates a jolt in the other both. I quickly wipe my cheeks with the back of my hand, as the duo watch me carefully.

    I raise my head with a confident look. Both of them stare at me. Possibly thinking why the hades I was tearing. I fix my gaze at the wall ahead of me and concentrate on evening my breath.

    Maverick clears his throat and begins once again, "Ms. Archer, could you tell me what happened tonight inside my pack territory? You must definitely know all about werewolves, to reject them at first sight, right?" His anger clearly visible. I take a minute or two before I reply, and when I'm about to begin, Jake butts in narrating the incident himself.

    "Jake!" Maverick roars, his voice echoing in triples in the cold, still room. His voice startles both me and Jake, who seems to be rambling. I begin to sweat in the air-conditioned room. "I assume that she is Ms. Archer and not you!" He retorts with a glare. His fury very much evident. I somehow find my voice as I, myself narrate the incident which I had told Jake before, to him.

    As I wind up my fabricated story, he gazes thoughtfully ahead of me. Yet his coal black irises swirl with the ocean blue around it, proving that he was fighting for control against his wolf. A part of me loved that he still cares for me. But I'm more worried because that incident I narrated was a complete lie. Well not completely.

    "Are you human?" he asks, all of a sudden breaking the silence. I lock my eyes with him as I recite the well-practiced answer I provide to anyone. "No, I'm half werewolf. Dad was a werewolf but mom was human. Both of them are dead now. I don't have a wolf, just some heightened senses." Although this is what I usually offer anybody, my heart aches in a weird way and my wolf proclaims that she doesn't like me lying to her mate. I mentally roll my eyes at her, reminding myself of my mother's words." Never reveal thyself to any, even if the matter is regarding life-or-death."

    He stares at me for what seems like forever and looks away, making me worried whether he looked right through my lie. "So, as you seem to clear knowledge of werewolf existence, you will have to accept your punishment," he simply states. Punishment?! For what? I mentally ask myself.

    Recognizing my unspoken question or whatsoever, he continues. "Trespassing a pack's territory under any circumstance is a punishable offense. But given the rogue interference, it has to be reconsidered. Anyway, trespassers acquire a need to be punished and you, as I'm correct, do not belong to a pack, and remain to be at rogue," he states glancing at me. I nod my head accepting that I did not belong to a pack.

    "Therefore, you should endure twelve hours in the underground cell as a punishment. It's around three in the morning so you will be released around three in the afternoon tomorrow and then....." He pauses for a fraction of a second and continues, "That's it. Jake, take her to the underground cell, lock her up and finish the paper work for this entry."

    With high expectations I remind him his unfinished statement earlier, "and then...." I prompt. Maverick raises his right eyebrow questioningly at me. Both, me and his Beta, look expectantly at him. He remembers his earlier cliffhanger, noticeable as his forehead creases relax, stands up from his chair and picks up his phone from the table at an agonizingly slow pace. And says in his Alpha tone,

    "And then..... You leave. Beta, take her to the cell." Leaving me rejected, alone and pathetic just as he must have felt two years before.......

When I left him.

**********

Hi guys,
Hope you liked it.
Vote and Comment if you liked it.
Love y'all.... Mwah.....
-Vishael