Chapter 6 | And So It Begins

"O, beware, my lord, of jealousy;
It is the green-ey'd monster, which doth mock
The meat it feeds on."
-William Shakespeare, Othello

**********

        I stand shifting from one foot to another impatiently and play with my scrunchie, as I gaze at the well-mown green grass topped up with the morning dew beneath me

I stand shifting from one foot to another impatiently and play with my scrunchie, as I gaze at the well-mown green grass topped up with the morning dew beneath me. I'm at the pack grounds right now, waiting for my trials to begin. Pack members were training at the grounds since five thirty in the morning. I had walked in at about six thirty under the guidance of Jake who had volunteered to jog with me here before he went to the pack house. I had checked for any injuries as soon as I saw him, remembering last night's drama. Thankfully he seemed physically fit.

Chris had waved at me when I walked in. I had jogged fifteen rounds around the ground as warm-up. I had done some push-ups, squats, planks and lunges. Chris came by and asked me how I was doing, to which I merely nodded. He informed me that I had to be at the trial stage at around eight o'clock for my trials. He said that trials will begin as soon as the Alpha arrives. That's what I'm doing right now.... Waiting...

I silently think of my late-night call with Tessa. I remember her words so clearly.

"Blythe, he doesn't know you. He doesn't understand the background of the rejection, which I think you should tell him. But if Aaron says not to then I don't know. Maverick still cares for you. He didn't yet accept your rejection. I think you should stay there. At least being closer to your mate will calm your wolf. And perhaps you guys could even try. It's your decision. Remember if you choose to stay, you do have to let him in your life and secrets one day. You have to tell him all the reasons why. Trials won't be a great deal for you. Kick some ass for me, Blee. Love you"

I smile to myself thanking the goddess for such an amazing best friend who knew how to support me when I need it. Goddess, also please don't let her know that I told such thing. She'll go crazy.

Pack members gaze questioningly at me, probably wondering, who the hell I was and why I was smiling to myself like a lunatic. Some even throw me looks as if I'm filth beneath their shoes. Oh please, you don't even know me. And you better not. I glower at them smirking.

All of sudden there is silence except for the scraping of footsteps. And I know that the Alpha has arrived.

Unknowingly my eyes search for him. As my eyes meet his, we gaze. Green to blue. His eyes darken.

Suddenly my shorts and tank top seem to be too provocative. I blush profusely. He averts his eyes quickly. I become aware of my surroundings and try to contain my blush. He dons a dark brown shirt paired with dark beige pants. So many sweet temptations... My wolf swoons at the sight of his muscles flexing as he strolls gracefully across the ground. When he reaches the trial stage, Chris jogs over to him.