Chapter 13 | Whatever it Takes

This chapter is dedicated to sidqwe who has continuously supported by voting.

**********

"Sometimes you turn back. Sometimes, you walk away. And sometimes, you find the place you're meant to be, and you stay there. You find a way to make it work. Whatever it takes."
-Megan Hart

**********

*********

          Maverick stands there looking at me with passive gaze. Shit! How much has he heard? Although I tense up my tears seem to be never ending. He turns back and shuts the door, locking it quietly while both, me and Adele stare at him. He moves to face me. "Rick, what're you doing here? I'm sure Blythe- um... Our Luna didn't call you?" asked Adele.

"It's not what you're thinking Rick. We were just getting to know each other and she was telling me this hilarious- um sad story. It was so sad that we had ended up crying. Nothing much."

Even after Adele finishes, he stares into oblivion. She begins again. "Hey um... Alpha why don't you leave. I think that would be bett-" Rick fixes her with a pointed look, which shuts her up and kneels in front of me.

Bringing his hands up to face, he lays his palms against my cheeks and brushes my tears off by his thumbs. I blink away my tears and look into his eyes. They don't hold pity instead hold adoration, love and promise. What the...? What's going on?

And then I noticed.

His eyes.

They were black in colour signaling his wolf in control.

Suddenly he engulfed me in a bone crushing hug. I wince at the sudden attack but tense up not knowing how I should react. He draws soothing circles on my back murmuring sweet incoherent words. I break down completely.

I try to pull back but he crashes me against his chest. My tears dampen his linen shirt. I hear the bedroom door open and close. Adele must have left. I don't know how long we stay like that. Minutes? Hours?

He pulls back slowly and looks into my eyes as I into his. We sink in. Green to blue. His eyes move down to my lips. I notice that my tears have ceased.

One of his palms on my cheek, the other on my shoulder massaging in a relaxing way. He slides his arms around me as he sweeps me up in bridal style and carries me to the bed. Placing me down, he kisses my forehead, mumbles, "I'll be back in a minute," and leaves, not closing the door