Chapter 23 | Roses Stained In Blood

"Tonight is a night to turn heads. Make them remember you. Make sure they never forget. You are the Calipha of Khorasan, and you have the ear of a king." Despina put her hand on Shahrzad's shoulder and grinned at their shared reflection. "More important, you have his heart." She bent forward and lowered her voice. "And, most important, you are a fearsome thing to behold in your own right."
-Renee Ahdieh, The Wrath and the Dawn
**

"-Renee Ahdieh, The Wrath and the Dawn **

*******

      Blushing profusely, I smile at her. "There you go, dear. You look heavenly gorgeous," Mrs. Allard gushes over me making my cheeks heat up again. She was in charge of getting me ready today as a top beautician and hairdresser. She kept saying that I was bewitchingly striking and did not need any add- ons. But apparently her brushes, sticks and all those tools did not think so.

     Since six o'clock in the morning my body had been ripped apart. All the hair on my legs, arms, underarms, eyebrows and elsewhere were waxed off. Not a single hair missed the elder lady's eyes. My tanned neutral under toned skin was almost red now. Everywhere sore and raw. But to say, I actually loved the bath part. That was nice. All bubbly and relaxing...

       Here I am now, as Mrs. Allard finally lets go of me after caking my face with makeup. Well, not exactly. She had opted for a minimal makeup and had gone for a natural look, enhanced with winged eyeliner, a pale blush, and some nude but slightly glossed lips. I looked... well me. My hair was swept into a low, slightly-messy bun accessorized with a pearly diamonds hairpiece. She pushes me into the closet as she enters behind me and flourishes her hand motioning me towards the massive zipped cover bag holding my dress for the ceremony. "Darling, it's yours. It's traditional for the Queen to open it and view first," she says beckoning me forward.

    I move forward and zip the cover down as my mouth goes dry. Oh my...

     It was an illusion neck-lined, full sleeved, natural waisted, covered low back, off- white ball gown with silver accents. I tag off my ivory silk robe as Mrs. Allard helps me to slip into the hand stitched breathtaking fabric of a dress.

      She buttons me up from the back, her knuckles slightly brushing the back of my neck, sending tingles through my nervous self.

     As she adds finishing touches to my makeup, Sienna goes through the whole ceremony, occasionally drooling over my attire. A rough tap on the door interrupts us as a guard enters curtly, "Ma'am, his majesty requires Luna's presence." I inwardly
cringe at his royal accent, but brace myself fast reminding myself that I soon have to adapt to it.

     "Luna, are you ready?" Mrs. Allard asks me politely.

    I nod at her, "Yes, Mrs. Allard," but my voice comes out a bit squeaky.

    "You can do this, dear. Show them what they've been missing. Show them who's in charge. Remember we'll all be with you no matter what. Stay strong. Darling, make your parents proud," she smiles warmly.