Chapter 25 | The Rainstorm Ceases

"Caleb and Tris exchange a look. The skin on his face and on her knuckles is nearly the same colour, purple-blue-green, as if drawn with ink. This is what happens when siblings collide - they injure each other in the same way."
-Veronica Roth, Allegiant (Divergent, #3)

*******

*********

*********

      The distant howl of a wolf resonates far away from the hills signaling the beginning of the full moon. It had begun.

Howls and snarls signify the start of a brutal massacre. The powerful howl overpowers them all. Rick... Grabbing my pocket gladius from my right leather boot, I weave my way through the hunks of men and hazes of fur.

The grey wolfed Beta of the Rapscallion pack pounces over me pulling me to the ground. As the thought of Kay and Mae being held crosses my mind, Anger replaces my guilt and a sudden rush of adrenaline urges.

My gladius runs into his upper abdomen and I pull it back quickly. Stabbing him again on his neck, he howls in agony and nears me. His canines plunge into my left calf and pain shoots through me. Stabbing my dagger deep into his neck, I end it once and for all. He lets out a strangled howl as he falls on my feet whimpering.

Time ticking by, pulls me from my reveries and I shift into my wolf, sprinting to where I needed to be right now.

The chill west wind flurries through my silver fur, making me a white blur to the viewer's eyes. My paws thudding across the field, over the lifeless bodies of many.

Up, down. Up and down.

The coldness of the night, nips through my heart as I watch countless warriors fighting with their lives on stake. With their fates treading on a thin string. What has brought this on them?

The power hunger of an individual?

I shift into my own self, catching sight off Xandro finishing a couple of the Royal guards. My scent must have drifted off to him as his armor-clad self turns to me, smirking.

"Just as I thought," he clicks his tongue. "Queen of the Wolves saves the day," he mocks, "Or rather saves her mate's sisters?"

"Xandro, please let them go? This just about you and me..." the pleading in my voice makes me want to gag at myself. He laughs.

     "Blythe, why do you think that you asking me will even let them go? You're just wasting your energy. Besides you know what I want."

    "Are you going to kill me?" I ask him pitiably. One thing I learned in my life is that death never hurts you, but it kills those around you. And what about Rick, Aaron, Tessa, Adele and all of them?

     "Why would I do that, dear? I owe someone something. They asked for this. This is for them," he shrugs. He doesn't know it's my lifeline? Who is this someone?