Chapter 23

Six months later

Miles walked down the street of Manhatten and looked around for any trouble to take care of. But once again, there were none. It seemed like nobody wanted to commit crimes lately. Not that that was a bad thing though; it just made Miles extremely bored now.

Miles kept walking around and saw a bakery store that smelled of freshly baked sweets. He looked into the window of the store and saw treats everywhere and considered heavily to walk in.

I mean, since there's no need for Spiderman at the moment, that means I can cheat a little on the diet, right?

Miles continued drooling at the sight of pink and blue frosting on top of numerous sweet treats from small cupcakes to gigantic wedding cakes.

Right.

Miles almost ran in with anticipation. He looked around the whole store to see his option then checked his pockets to see how much change he had.

One ten, a five, four singles, and 4 quarters. A perfect twenty dollars. Miles smiled to himself and knew immediately what he wanted to buy.

He grabbed two cartons of 10 cupcakes each, one for himself and one for his parents. He counted up the prices and saw that he still had eight dollars left.

Why let good money go to waste? Anything else I can buy?

He continued looking around until he found it.

Jackpot

He smiled and grabbed the large pound cake that was drizzled in icing with sliced strawberries placed perfectly in center. The perfect treat to last him and his parents (mostly him) for at least a week. And the best part? It was 8 dollars exactly.

Miles eagerly grabbed all of his items and made his way over to the cash register to pay for his overexcessively sweet treats. There, a woman scanned his items and bagged them up before telling Miles how much he needed to pay.

"That'll be $21.77 dear." She said in a sweet tone.

21? Why is it over 20?

Then Miles remembered. Taxes. He mentally groaned before taking the cake out of the bag.

"I don't have enough for that. Could you take this out of the purchase please?" Miles asked and handed the cake over to the cashier.

"Of course." She said in her sweet tone and was about to grab the cake until a hand suddenly appeared.

"No, it's ok. You can add his items to my purchase." A gentle voice said from behind Miles. Miles turned and saw a beautiful girl that was about his height standing there with long, black, straight hair, brown eyes, a slim figure, light brown skin, a pair of glasses that she wore that only seemed to complete her look, and a kind face that was smiling warmly at him.

"Alrighty then," the cashier's voice broke Miles out of his daze, "I'll cancel his purchase and add his items to your bill then."

"Thank you." The girl said. Her voice sounded like it was always singing to Miles and he didn't know if he would ever get over it, and he didn't even know her name.

She finished her purchase and gave Miles' items back to him before walking out out of the store with him. He didn't know why, but he felt like he should walk with her. So they walked together awkwardly for a while as Miles tried to sort himself out and figure out what he should do next.

Should I ask her out? No, that seems kind of creepy. She probably doesn't even like me. But why would she pay for my stuff then? Is there a chance? Maybe there is. I should at least try. I should start off slow first though.