Chapter 24

A portal appeared in the middle of a desert and closed after the opener stepped through. They walked around for a few minutes before clapping their hands three times. Then, all the surrounding objects surrounding them began to disappear and a large room filled with futuristic technology appeared.

The person walked to a large computer and placed their hand on a pad. The pad scanned their hand then, the screen sprung to life and showed numerous opened files.

Hello, the computer said, how do you need my assistance at the moment?

"Unlock the door to the room containing the assets."

Of course

A loud click was heard and the person walked over to and large metal door that opened when he approached it, revealing an unconscious man on the floor in a green suit. "What's the prisoner's status?"

Still unconscious. He doesn't seem to be able to wake up any time soon. I predict at least a few months.

"Good, the longer the better." The figure walked away from the body and opened away portal but before it entered, it turned to the computer. "And Lyla, when he does wake up, make sure to tell me."

Of course Miguel.
_______________________________________

It was late in the night and Miles' parents were already fast asleep, but he was pacing around tirelessly and was trying to get his mind to stop shooting all the details that happened earlier in the day at a fast pace. Every time he thought that he could get himself to start settling down, a new wave of questions would hit him again that would stress him out even more.

He didn't know what to do about him and Lizette. He liked her a lot, he knew that. But did he move on from Gwen enough to not feel like that he would disrespect her if he dated her? Every time that Miles thought he waa over Gwen, there would always be something to come along and remind him of her and he'd always feel sad about her death again. He knew that Eventually, he'd have to face the problems, but right now, he needed to get distracted and get his mind away from it.

Miles looked at his alarm clock to check the time. 12:50. He did some mental math before deciding that he had enough time to patrol for about 3-4 hours then come back and be able to get in at least a good 3 hours of sleep in before needing to wake up to get ready for his first day back at school.

Miles groaned at the mention of school. His summer vacation seemed to past by in a blur with trying to get over Gwen's death. And last year he "missed" a lot of days in a row. He was so used to having to deal with threats or just skipping because of depression. It felt like a whole new concept for him now. Miles just then thought that he probably should've told Lizette about starting school.

The mention of her name made his mind start sending wave after wave of stressful questions that needed answers again. Great, I thought I could at least patrol without these in my head. Miles mentally complained and slid his window down.

He jumped out and felt the wind blow on his face for a quick second, clearing his mind of all worries and stress, before quickly pulling his mask on and swinging towards the famous skyscrapers that made the beautiful New York City skyline that was still glowing in light and bustling in life despite how late it was. It truly was the city that never sleeps.

But that also meant that the crime didn't sleep either as Miles saw several armed men trying to rob a bank. Miles made quick work of them and swung away to look for more trouble that needed to be stopped, happily welcoming the adrenaline that was beginning to pump through him as swung by building by building, web by web.