Violet [Storyscape: Eternal City] x Female Reader

~No One's POV~

You treaded along the pathway through the Garden, pretending to work so Bezoar wouldn't scold and punish you for slacking off. You can feel the soft soil between your toes and the sunlight hitting your skin. 

Normally this would be relaxing but in your current situation, all you felt was anxiety everywhere you went. You constantly felt the stares of the Caretakers on your back, sending shivers down your spine. You wanted nothing more than to run away from their stares.

Today was your lucky day. No Bezoar or any Caretakers at sight. Page was quietly pulling out weed as ordered while Mudboy was digging holes. Violet, however, was nowhere to be found. You thought that she probably stole a piece of fruit and hid somewhere to eat it.

Your stomach growled at the thought of food and you placed a hand over your belly. It's been days since you ate. Despite being surrounded by lush fruits and vegetables, you weren't allowed to eat anything unless Bezoar allowed you. This was his way of discipline. You were lucky if you even got two meals a week. 

Your attention shifted when you heard a woman shouting. You snapped your head up and looked around, trying to spot the person who was yelling. The shouts came from the north of the Garden.

You knew that if you got caught, you would be punished but your curiosity got the best of you. Following the woman's voice, you glanced around to make sure no one will spot you.

You pushed away a bundle of leaves that was blocking your view, spotting a female Caretaker who was shouting. Her back was turned towards you as her head was tilted down while shouting as if she was shouting at someone shorter than her. 

You moved closer and squinted your eyes to see who the mysterious person that was being yelled at. You watched as the Caretaker's hand rise up in the air and swing down, making a hard impact on whoever was in front of her. 

You flinched as the sound of the Caretaker's hand making contact with skin amplified. The victim let out a yelp before stumbling back and falling on the ground.

Your eyes widen when you saw the figure laying on the dirt, holding her right cheek. Violet, the girl who was known for being a hardass who never showed weakness, was now trying to hold back her tears from a single slap on the face. 

The sounds around you began to sound like muffles as your vision only focused on Violet. Your hands clenched into fists, you've never felt this angry. You've been beaten and shouted at plenty of times but seeing Violet get slapped triggered something inside of you.

Out of the corner of your vision, the Caretaker brings her hand up again for another slap. Violet's eyes shut tightly as she waited for the second hit.

Your vision shifted and honed in on the Caretaker as you threw yourself onto the older woman. Despite being a teenager and the smallest out of your group of friends, you slammed your body hard enough to make the woman stumble away from your friend.

Out of instinct, you grabbed the hand that hit Violet's cheek and bit down on the wrist. The Caretaker let out a bloody cry and attempted to pull you off. It only made it worse as you sunk your teeth deeper, allowing your canine teeth to pierce through the skin. 

Your taste was overwhelmed with the metallic taste of blood. The Caretaker did what she could to pry you off but nothing worked. You stay latched on until the other Caretakers arrived to rip you away.

You spat out the blood and wiped your mouth with your arm as you watched the Caretaker you bit cradling her wrist while crying. 

"What is the meaning of this?!" Bezoar's voice boomed as his heavy figure stormed in your direction. A sinking feeling finally set in your stomach. You were about to get punished.

"How dare you attack a Caretaker! After all, we've done for you! We've taken you in and taught you everything!" Bezoar screamed, his face turning red with anger, "You will be punished for your actions and this time, they won't go as easy."

Your feet began to back up as you watched a group of Caretakers horde around you with their staffs in hand. You back hit a stone wall and all you could do was look up in fear at the faces of the Caretakers.

Hits came in like heavy rain. It didn't take long until you were beaten to your knees and you were cradled into a ball. Their wooden shafts hitting and prodding at you. Kicks and punches soon joined in. It didn't take long for the sound of a whip cracking to echo through the Garden. You lost your voice to scream for help as every hit came after another.

You felt your conscious slip away as the pain hit you all at once like a storm.

------------------

You woke up staring at the starry night sky. Your body aching and crying in pain. You heard the soft crackling of a fire nearby. You tried to sit up but pain shot through you, causing you to fall back and scream. 

"You idiot, don't do that." A voice told you. Footsteps came closer until a figure kneeled down beside your body. Gentle hands place themselves on yours, giving you a light squeeze. The person shifted closer, allowing you to see who they were.

Violet kneeled down beside you, her eyes unable to meet yours as her hands were now tucked on her lap. 

"Violet, are you okay? I saw the Caretaker hit you and-" You asked, worried if she was still hurt.

"I didn't need your help." Violet cut you off. 

You shut your mouth and stared at her for a few seconds before looking away. Did she not understand that you did it because you cared about her?

"Why? Why would you do something so stupid?! You got yourself hurt!" She said angrily. But she wasn't angry with you, she as angry with herself for allowing you to get beat.

"But she hit you. I couldn't just let her hit you again." You protested and tried to sit up again. You flinched, forgetting that you were still injured. 

Violet's eyes were on you now, watching you as you attempted to sit up. You eventually did, ignoring the pain that was clawing through you. Your (e/c) eyes reached her brown ones. They were filled with guilt and pain.

"You shouldn't have gotten in the way. Look what happened to you. I shouldn't have let you interfere," she scolded, trying to sound furious but the shaking in her voice gave it away, "the worst part is, I let you take it. I ran away like a coward."

Her head tilted downward as her eyes fall. You watched helplessly as she aggressively wiped the tears from her eyes. "I knew you were stupid but I didn't know you were this stupid," she sniffled.

"And I would do it again," you responded. Her sniffling stopped as she slowly looked up at you. "I don't care that you don't need my help. I want to help. You, Page, and Mudboy mean a lot to me. I would let them hit me again like this if it means keeping you guys safe." You give her a warm smile.

Her eyes widen at your words as her cheeks dusted a soft pink. She quickly cleared her throat and looked away with a scoff. "Whatever. Just try not to get that hurt next time." She grumbled. You smiled, knowing that she wasn't annoyed, just worried.

You look down at your wounds to find them cleaned and dressed already. You glanced at Violet's hands to find them bloody. You felt a warm sensation in your chest knowing that she really does care about you.

"Hey Violet," You spoke up. 

"What do you want now?" She replied.

"Thanks for taking care of me," you leaned in and placed a soft kiss on her cheek. Her body stiffened in response as her breathing hitched. You pulled away to find her cheeks darker than normal as she shifted at her spot.

Suddenly, you felt Violet's lips quickly touch your cheek. Though it was only for a second, it made your cheeks warm and heart quicken. "You're welcome," She replied and quietly whispered the last part to herself, "And no, you're my idiot."

You let a huge grin take over as you lean against her for support. You both enjoyed each other's presence, knowing that you both have each others' backs in the future.