Chapter 10- Mom

When I got home I opened the door and the house was silent. I was confused because usually my mom would be in the living room watching tv during the day.

I walked toward her room and saw that she was asleep but that was odd so I decided to wake her up but when I went to shake her she didn't move.

Panic took over my body and in an instant I grab my mom and dragged her to the bathroom, I knew she had passed out due to being fatigue but thank God I knew what to do.

I grabbed a warm washrag and patted her face softly trying to wake her but not scare her. "Mom wake up! Please!" I cried softly

Her eyes slowly opened and a huge smile appeared on my face, that smile represented relief and joy.

"I'm sorry mommy, I'm so sorry for letting you down like this" I said to her in a embarrassing tone

"Don't be baby...I'm so proud of you Aliza. You're the kid and you're taking good care of me...that's priceless" she said to me

I just smiled softly at her and hugged her tight.

After our moment I ran her a hot bath, so she could soak in the warm water.

"I remember when you were a little girl you used to love playing doctor and you'll always want me to be the patient and now look." She laughed

I didn't even find it funny, it was so sad to what happened to my mom. When she was diagnosed with it we thought it'll just go away on it's own and that will be that but we were wrong.

"Mom I love you so much, I wouldn't trade you for the world" I told her

"I love you too mon adorable fille" she replied

Translation:( I love you too my lovely daughter)

"To the moon and back" I said

That was something we always said after we told each other that we love one another.

It started when I was a little girl. I used to have very bad nightmares, tossing and turning throughout my sleep.

It was so bad that it got to a point where I used to jump up out my sleep and start to sweat.

I will start panting really loudly and my mom would come into the room and tell me repeatedly that it was nothing to be afraid of then after that she'll tell me a story to help me relax.

Tears used to pour down my face as she tried her best to soothe me, "Aliza I love you so much" she'll say.

"I love you too mom" I said back

"To the moon and back"

Then after that moment it was sort of our thing, every time it was a sad moment for us we said those words they were like words of encouragement to stay strong and to never give up and not fear.

It wasn't easy growing up without a father, life was rough. I never understood why he walked out on us like that though...how could somebody who helped make you just leave your life?

Mom never really brought him up because every time she did she got angry or sad so I never bothered to ask any questions about him.

I wondered about why he left plenty of times before and as badly as I wanted the answers I never had the gut to ask her because I didn't want to make her stroll down memory lane.

It seemed to me that they had a bad and toxic relationship so I bottled my curiosity.

Of course I imagined what he looked like and what he act like but that was just my wild imagination. Everything in me wanted to learn more about him.