twenty-one

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────

leighton sat towards the corner of the drama room as she played the piano. ricky and nini were singing, 'start of something new'. the brunette smiled at how well ricky was singing as she enjoyed her time playing the piano.

miss jenn had leighton playing the piano all the time now, she is kelsi after all. it was very soothing and she enjoyed every second of it. as the two were singing, back up dancers were going around and waving items in the air with the song. one of the dancers nearly taking leighton's head off with the disco ball. both laughing it off anyways.

before the song could properly end, the last bell went off and ej stood up and yelled, "yes! yes! whoo!" leighton quickly stopped playing and looked up at the boy as she tried to suppress a laugh at the outburst. "sorry, i really love thanksgiving." he continued and everyone laughed as they gathered their belongings.

miss jenn reminded everyone to rest their vocals and go over their lines. leighton watched as nini and ricky shared a laugh at the comments from miss jenn. she shook off the jealousy before it overpowered her brain.

"okay, i didn't actually think my fingers would cramp this much from the piano." leighton said aloud as she walked towards ricky. "of course, you're always killing it and practicing. it's surprising you have all ten still." the boy laughed as he threw his arm around the girl.

ricky moved over on the step seats he was sitting on and let her sit as well. everyone relaxed a little before heading off for the break. the two engaged conversation with gina and seb before hearing, yet another outburst, "party at ashlyn's after thanksgiving tomorrow!" carlos said. "everyone's invited!"

the students cheered and ricky stood up with leighton. "well off i go to help to prepare whatever needs to be done for my mom to cook in the morning." leighton said as she and ricky waved goodbye to gina and towards the front doors.

"i actually have no idea what my dad and i will be doing since it's kind of the first time without my mom." ricky stated as they saw nayeli already in the car waiting for the two. since it has gotten a lot colder now, the three teens usually ride together instead of ricky skateboarding to school.

"yeah my mom seems a little bit down, but of course she's making it seem like everything is okay without my dad. you and yours should come over if nothing turns up. mom's always asking you too now." leighton told ricky as they buckled their seat belts.

nayeli said a 'hello' to both of them and agreed with leighton, "yeah she just called me to say she's off already and got her last minute pie materials. she's never made a pie before. you know our dad usually does it, but she's excited." ricky was always down to go over, the two families sometimes coming together for holidays since they're next door neighbors.

ricky didn't know how everything would be. leighton felt herself get low at the fact they both have missing parents and it's hard to shake the feeling. the teens arrived at home and nayeli hurried inside the house shouting at ricky that she would stay outside longer to talk, but it's too 'chilly'.

leighton and ricky only laughed at how loud she was. "so let me know what your plans are then we can go to ashlyn's in the evening? with gina if she wants." leighton said, ricky nodded just wanting to hurry up and kiss her. he did and left the girl smiling as they both walked in their houses.

it was weird, very weird to leighton. she knew she could ask ricky to be her boyfriend. yet every chance she thought of it, she always found a flaw. it was never a good time. it bummed her out and ricky completely felt the same way. they could only wait until the right time.

the barrios women woke up very early to start cooking and baking their meal. ricky texted leighton that he and his dad were going to share a meal and spend a little time together. the girl understood and helped out with the cooking.

time flew by and it was already time to start eating. leighton loved every second she spent with her mom and sister as they sat close together at their six seat dinning table. the empty chair her dad always sat in made leighton upset, but she knew it would be okay anyways.

liliana had brought out the pie after they cleaned up. turns out she remembered why she never made it and why her husband always did. it was horrible. leighton and nayeli laughed at the burnt edges and soggy middle. they tossed it out and settled for the ice cream liliana purchased to go with the pie. the ladies called it an evening before leighton left to ricky's for the party.

when she got ready to go she saw gina's mom drive away from ricky's driveway and gina waving at her. they knocked together as ricky opened the door. his face having a very distraught look on it.

leighton didn't want to bring it up at that moment so she left it alone for a while. "look at the cute cupcakes gina made! they're turkeys, ric!" leighton said as gina placed the pan on the counter. "i thought leighton would already be here so i came here first, i thought we can all walk to ashlyn's. i also made you guys hats.." gina said awkwardly as she pulled two identical hats out her backpack purse.

"wow g, that is so sweet." leighton said before continuing as she and ricky looked at the hats, "why, exactly?" the girl asked laughing a little. it matched her burnt orange sweater so she didn't really mind. ricky pointed to leighton as in a way to say he wondered the same thing.

"well i mean, you spend enough time alone in the house and you pick up all sorts of crafts on youtube." ricky still having a look on his face he walked around both girls. "sorry, uhm...can i meet you both there?"

leighton's smile wiped from her face as did gina's. the girls glanced at each other. "is everything okay?" gina asked first. leighton stood beside her. "yeah. yup." ricky replied immediately.

ricky's phone was on the counter. she didn't want to be nosy but she looked over before it shut off and saw nini's contact name on the screen. she squinted to be sure that was what she saw, but the screen turned dark and then black. she was confused why he had that open. it's already happened where he called nini by accident instead of her.

the girl felt her stomach turn, but couldn't say something because she was nosy and peaked anyways. she put herself in the conversation again.

she crossed her arms and gave ricky a stare. "okay, no. i guess my mom has a new boyfriend.. and it's just, a lot. sorry, i hate to be a downer." ricky said. leighton furrowed he dark brows, "why do you continue to say sorry about things that you can't control?" ricky only shrugged his shoulders. "also why didn't you tell me anything?" she continued. ricky just shrugged his shoulders another time and shook his head. looking frustrated.

"look i get it." gina said once she saw leighton biting her lip. not knowing what to say to ricky's actions. "no offense, but i'm not sure you do." gina stood you straighter and spoke to ricky again, "let me guess. you're mad at everyone and everything because just when you're getting used to the things changing, they change again." leighton watched the two share their emotions. her feeling left out, but happy the other two could relate to each other.

"you just gotta push through. both of you. i don't want to say everything will be fine, because i don't know that, but pushing through this will make you stronger." leighton said after a while. gina and ricky agreed with her words. "look i will meet you both there. i need to run and get my bigger jacket anyways." leighton spoke again, putting the newly made hat on from gina and going out the door.

leighton sighed, feeling bad she couldn't help much. things were foggy again. at least in her own mind and she didn't like the feeling. especially with what she saw on his phone.

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────