twenty-eight

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────

this was it, the opening night of the musical. leighton had arrived to school fairly early to get in last minute piano playing and any lines she needed to go over. it had been a few days and leighton did her best to avoid ricky.

ever since they got the thumbs up to use their school gym instead of the other theater, the cast was constantly on the move. that meant more time in ricky's presence, but leighton did her best to stay in the shadows. she didn't dare read or listen to the texts and voicemails he left her the last few days. she did see him leaving his house for school yesterday, but ran to her car when he saw her.

she was still very hurt, but she was trying to cope for the time being. she did plan to speak to him today while wishing him goodluck for his performance. leighton currently was to the side of the 'stage' where the orchestra pit was set up. she was practicing every song she was to play that night.

the notes were permanent in her head which made things easier. after finishing up and deciding to rest until later this evening for showtime, she packed up and walked from her area. in the short distance stood ricky talking to miss jenn, leighton felt herself stumble a little.

the girl felt herself grow pink on her cheeks as he looked up from her squeaking shoes on the floor. he raised his hand slowly and did a small wave as she did the same. "now or never" the girl thought and started making her way over.

ricky's full attention was now on her before the side doors opened up and out came nini. leighton immediately stopped walking and made a tight lipped smile. she turned away and walked towards the drama room behind the 'stage' to grab her things.

now that nini was there early as well, she felt her emotions start to devour her facade. her mom was getting out of work early and she can go get lunch with her. anywhere but there for right now.

on her way out she heard nini and ricky talking. nini was trying to talk about what happened at the theater a few days ago and leighton had to step back. she didn't want to listen, but she couldn't go out to the hallway without being noticed. she waited and heard ricky shoot down what nini was saying.

"yeah about what happened. i don't have any kind of feelings for you, nini. it was wrong. i messed up and leighton hasn't talked to me in days. i haven't seen her except maybe two times. i really hurt her and it's hurting me too. what i did was stupid and i should have never been close to you like that. so i'm sorry if i made it seem that way, but it's not. i love.. leighton. a lot."

leighton let out a shaky breath, she felt tears start to form in her eyes, but fanned them to stop the tears from falling. nini only responded with a short 'okay' and her apologizing too. that was all she heard before seeing ricky about to walk in the door she was standing by.

the ex-couple/best friends made eye contact again that hour. "leighton— please don't go running from me again, i just want to talk about it and tell you how sorry i am." ricky said as he was now a foot away from the shorter girl.

"well, you're in my way for me to leave.. so you can say what you need to say. i just uh, i heard what you said to nini just now but.." leighton spoke, whispering like she was scared to talk any louder. "i meant that leigh. i love you and i regret it all. it was stupid. it was incredibly stupid of me. i didn't mean to hurt you. that's the last thing i ever want to do to you, but i did and you probably hate me."