thirty-one

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────

act two was now in progress. leighton was slightly nervous about what the second act was to bring. she saw how ricky's face looked when she had to leave him. it was full of hurt, pain and doubt.

little did she know after the first scene of the second act, ricky was desperately trying to call her phone. he thought it was on her, but the clear no pick up was a sign she didn't have it with her.

leighton cringed just a little as the next scene was on. ej walked out ever so casually and it was obvious that nini was in some sort of shock. she turned around and made a face at the stage managers and even leighton. all three of them made hand movements as if to go along with it.

the second piano player leaned over and said, "where did ricky go?" leighton looked back at him, "there were some complications with ricky. he wasn't in the right state to perform this act.." still a little confused about everything herself.

the sound of heels clicking in the backstage area could be heard by leighton and the orchestra pit. "leighton! where's ricky?! i thought he was with you the last time i checked. what happened?" miss jenn asked the questions, looking as if she was about to faint. leighton only explained what she told the other piano player and miss jenn just freaked out even more.

the scene unfolding right in front of leighton was a disaster, in her opinion. ej and nini were not as compatible as they were once before. attempting to search for her phone in her pockets, she couldn't feel it anywhere. she must have left it in the backstage area.

she needed to go get it but as soon as she stood up, it was time for her to start the song ashlyn wrote a while back. "dammit. you'll have to wait a little while, phone." leighton muttered under her breath.

ashlyn looked over and nodded a little at her and that was the signal to start the song. the song reminded leighton of how much things had changed in the last three months. she remembered all her emotions she felt whenever ashlyn allowed her to play and sing with her. the regrets of the past and mistakes. not getting with ricky sooner to avoid any drama with nini.. it always was going to be a regret.

all the bad things that happened in the last few months were permanent. leighton was ready to move forward. her mind coming back to reality as the song slowly finished and the lights grew brighter.

scene after scene the end was near. leighton would be playing the last song, "breaking free" on stage since kelsi was the one playing for troy and gabriella.

leighton hugged the piano player who would be taking over and thanked him for helping her through the night. quickly dashing to the dressing area to change into her last scene outfit, then curtain call outfit.

before she grabbed the hangers she searched for her phone and noticed the missed calls and texts from ricky. they were about him panicking and wanting her to ditch the piano and just be with him. the guilt of not seeing the texts took over her but she responded back asking where he had gone. other messages were from nayeli wondering why ricky wasn't on stage anymore. she would have to explain later.

finally she went to change into her kelsi outfit. it consisted black pants and a blazer with a hat. she continued to hope for the best as she realized she had to play for ej and nini to sing the duet. she shuddered at the last time she had to play the piano for them. what a disaster that was.

zipping up the garment bag with her last scene costume, leighton overheard nini talking to kourtney about ricky leaving. "he texted me he was sorry for not being on for act two. do you know where leighton is? maybe she knows why." nini said. kourtney laughed a little, "honestly, you aren't her favorite person, and i was there listening to him be freaked out over his mom's new boyfriend. plus you need to go out and do what you need to do. that lady from that school is watching you still."

kourtney was right about nini being her least favorite person, but what lady was watching nini? leighton stopped listening to the conversation not really caring as she walked out the dressing room slots to fix her make up before the scene.

the grand piano was rolled out in the corner of the stage and she walked out as applauds erupted. nini and ej came out to immediately start singing. she watched them making sure she looked interested.

they did their lines, but in the middle of them speaking, the gym door opened loudly. leighton looked around the two and saw ricky emerge from the doors. at least he looked okay since he didn't answer her latest message.

looking back over to nini and ej, they weren't finishing their lines as planned. everyone was starting to notice and the backstage managers were freaking out behind leighton because it was just a mess by now.

"troy. gabriella." leighton said quietly hoping they would look her way and finish the lines. the next thing shocked leighton. ej started going off script that confused the students who watched from the sides. he said he hoped he would be doing something right.

"i'm not the troy who should be here. i'm playing to lose." ej spoke as he turned and left the stage. leighton awkwardly sat at the piano, not sure if she should play a song or just walk off as well. the audience was getting ansty and the chatter only grew.

"actually, i would be doing something right as well. i hope." nini said as she turned towards the corner leighton sat at. walking towards the piano, nini moved the microphone away from her lips. "leighton. i know i have done wrong to you and ricky's relationship, but ricky worked hard for this musical. he deserves to be up here. i want you to sing gabriella's part."

leighton's jaw had dropped several inches, beyond confused as to why she was talking to her and telling her to perform in her place. nini walked behind the piano and handed her the microphone. "you know the words. if you're there with him. he would do anything. please."

grabbing the microphone leighton only looked at it and up again at nini. before denying, nini hustled off the stage and now the spotlight was directly on leighton's face.

she couldn't run or object. she had to sing.

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────
delia notes: this is so messy!! but i got a plot twist! it's looking real cheesy from here on. once this book is done, i will go back and edit the chapters thoroughly for errors and stuff.