thirty-three

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────

after the hugging and celebrating, the cast family all headed to the backstage area to pack up and change from their costumes. after changing, leighton walked away without being noticed and headed to the drama room to sit at the piano bench.

even though leighton joined the musical to try new things, she joined a family that meant the world to her. she never saw herself involved like she was now. she hoped her dad was proud of her from where he was now and hoped she made those around her proud as well.

taking a deep breath she slid her finger on the keys and smiled. the spring musical was soon, but it wouldn't replace the memories and practices for this one. she sat enjoying the alone time before she heard a knock. turning around she saw no one other than ricky bowen.

"there you are. you missed it. big red got ashlyn that huge flower bouquet." ricky said laughing as he walked towards leighton. "no way! i knew there was something between them." she laughed along with ricky as he leaned on the piano.

"whatcha doing here? your mom and nayeli aren't waiting for you?" the boy asked, "i told them i would be a while, but to wait with everyone else's family." leighton responded. the air was thick. they had been alone after the situation, but right now everything was circulating their heads.

ricky nodded. "who would have thought you would sing a number with me on stage as kelsi who turned into gabriella." leighton shrugged her shoulders and pulled the cover to the piano keys down so she could lean on it. "it was nothing. you should've been on that stage the entire time. and i mean come on. nini of all people asked me and didn't let me say no.. so i did it for you. not really her."

the boy sighed, he really screwed up and created a mess. "i should go. you know, don't want those ladies waiting forever because then i wouldn't hear the end of it. you're coming to eat with the crew right?" leighton rambled as she stood up from her piano bench and slightly smiled at ricky as she grabbed her things.

"leighton." ricky whispered just as she just turned away. "don't go." leighton slowly turned back towards him and scrunched her eyebrows, "ricky we live next door to each other. and we're still friends, i'm not going anywh—" before her words finished ricky cut her off.

"no. i mean don't leave me and just be my best friend again." now he was walking around the piano and in front of her. "i love you. so much and i can't live without you leighton barrios." he continued as he stopped walking.

"ric, i love you too. that hasn't changed." she said dropping her backpack to the floor and crossing her arms. "you don't understand. i'm in love with you leighton. so in love with you that i wish i could go back in time three years ago and tell you then. before anything else happened. because three years ago you went on that date with the guy, who's name i don't even remember, and came back to my house really sad because he said you were just a bet. i held you as you cried. you were so mad that you fell for him and i remember telling you that you deserved better. then three years ago was when i realized that you meant the world to me. seeing you cry over some other dude was a nightmare." ricky said as leighton felt her throat tighten up. a sign she was about to cry.

"and from then on we just stayed best friends and i knew i wouldn't have a chance with you so i ended up with nini.. but even then my heart raced a million miles a second each time i hugged you or was around you. i only ever wanted to be around you and i constantly did everything i could so i would be right there for you. it's so crazy, how vividly i remember the feeling of my heart break into pieces as you collapsed in my arms at the hospital when the doctors came out to say your dad passed away. all you did was scream and cry, but i only held you tighter each time you did. i can't forget how much you cried the day you told me your family found out he had cancer and how i held you then too. the words of you wishing to switch places with him repeated in my head for days, and i kept reminding you things happened for a reason. i held you tight in my arms each time because you hold my heart in your hands. trust me leighton, you have a good grip on it. i messed up, angel. seeing you hurt over me was a disaster. this time i didn't get to hold you for being hurt and upset since i was the cause of it."

leighton now has tears spilling out of her eyes as she tried to smile at the words that were coming out of ricky's mouth. ricky was always there for her before and after her dad passed, then that's when the kissed happened. "i don't want us to be the one time thing you thought we should have settled as. i don't. i told you that i meant to kiss you that summer night, it was never an accident. my intentions were to feel your lips on mine. i had been wanting to every day before. i just want to hold you every time you're upset. to be there like i always have been. i love you and i'm only a teenager. i never told nini those words because i don't and didn't love her. or anyone else for that matter. it's always been you. i won't even forget to say how i love the fact you always make time for me and are always there for me whenever i would be down. so please don't walk away aga—"

"ricky." leighton said sniffling a little, "yes?" the boy answered who let a shaky breath out, tears clouding his vision. "you know you talk a lot? now suddenly you are able to place all the words together about how you feel about me, but with other situations you can barely speak." she said laughing a little and continued, "i think it's my turn to say what i need to say.. but first can i just?" she asked as she trailed her words and walking the short gap to reach up to kiss him.

placing his hands on her waist and scrunching her shirt, she stood on her tippy toes to be level with him. they both pulled away and placed their foreheads on each other. "i'm very much, in love with you as well, ricky bowen. i love how you're the one i get to run to when something is wrong. the last few days have sucked, but it's behind us. you're my person. and you really have always been there for me.." leighton said rubbing his cheek with her thumb as she settled back on her feet.

"you know i actually wrote you a song.. i would love to play it sometime for you." ricky told her as she nodded happily and pulled him down to kiss her again. "does this mean i get to be your boyfriend again?" he asked as she responded. "of course it does, baby." the two teenagers laughed and wiped the tears from their eyes as she continued, "but lets go to the lobby now and hope nayeli won't 'accidentally' kill you." the girl laughed, grabbing her stuff and yanking a scared ricky by his hand.

before getting very far he stopped their walking, "i really love you. i'm so happy right now you wouldn't even believe it, leigh." ricky told her pulling leighton close to his body. "the feeling is mutual. i forgive you for everything. i hope you can forgive me for ignoring you and all that junk that's happened." leighton told him.

ricky only nodded as he smiled and kissed her forehead before squeezing her into a hug and proceeding to the lobby.

on the way to the lobby, carlos ran in front of them to tell them about another cast party at ashlyn's house. miss jenn mentioning she will go as she walked past her students. the newest couple, again, agreed and went to walk away, but gina popped up around the corner which caused them both to halt.

"g! do you have to go back tonight? please stay for the cast party." leighton begged as ricky made sad puppy dog eyes to match leighton's words. "i can't you guys. i leave in a few hours." gina replied and waved her hand in front of their faces so they stopped their puppy eyes.

ashlyn popped up behind gina and said she could stay in her guest room. "you can even stay through christmas if you want." she said. the three teenagers, apart from gina looked at each other, "or actually.. i just had the craziest idea." ashlyn continued and leighton wanted to scream. right as ricky was about to talk, nayeli started yelling for leighton by the doors.

"oh god, i'm sorry guys. my sister has lost her mind. see you later!" leighton said and ricky waved at the girls. liliana and nayeli tackled leighton in a big hug congratulating her and engaging in a conversation about what happened during the show. "oh ricky, you know we don't hate you. join in our hug." nayeli said as liliana opened her arms to the tall boy.

"thank goodness. i was terrified to mention that leighton and i are back together for a second." ricky stated as the other barrios women cheered and hugged again.

nothing in the world could beat this moment. right here. right now. buckle up wildcats, this wasn't just a one time thing!

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────
delia notes: this is it. the end of the final episode. don't worry, there is still more to come with these lovebirds. stay tuned for two more bonus chapters! did you guys like this part? i enjoyed nini and ricky's scene so i was like, let me put a similar twist.