Eight

The sun shone its radiant rays in the direction of the fountain, lighting it up in a way that made it appear to glow.

Water steamed down continuously, the sound of it gushing reverberating in Marinette's ears through the window. She stared out, eyes roaming the heavenly image whilst a male stood behind her.

"The view is beautiful..." she breathed, a smile making its way onto her face.

A few seconds later, Damian, looking at Marinette from a sideways angle, agreed with, "It is."

He too followed her line of sight, leading to the gardens of the manor.

Throughout his stay in the building, he had never taken the time to admire the structure or the ornate decorations. However, Marinette, during her visit, had pointed out the smallest of details, even if they were almost imperceptible in a passing glance.

It made him appreciate his surroundings better.

Marinette, with her lips upturned, suddenly felt the sensation of something soft nudging against her left ankle, prompting her to turn her attention away from the outside.

When Marinette gasped in surprise without any warning, Damian quickly positioned himself into a fighting stance. Soon though, he relaxed, seeing the female with wide eyes fawning over Alfred.

The cat soaked up the praise like a sponge in water, not fighting at all when Marinette scooped him up and pushed him against her chest.

Damian smirked. Good too see I'm not the only one who loves animals.

Alfred pushed his tiny nose into Marinette's cheek, soon licking it as a show of affection. She giggled, seeming to be at peace and overjoyed.

"He usually attacks any strangers who dare to touch him," Damian mused. "Or just everyone apart from me, Alfred and father."

Instead of a verbal answer, she sent him a dazzling smile, before proceeding to shower Alfred with compliments in French that were too rushed for him to translate.

"What's this adorable Chaton's name?" she questioned, stroking his fur, after a minute. Purrs rumbled from the animal's throat as he leaned into her comforting touch.

"Alfred, believe it or not," Damian answered. "Named after the only sane person living in the Manor apart from father when he isn't sleep-deprived and myself."

That caused a chuckle to vibrate through Marinette's chest, that was currently being nuzzled at by an affectionate cat.

"Well, I don't see how this little Minou could ever harm anyone," she declared, leaning down to press a delicate kiss on the top of his head.

In response, Alfred brushed his tail periodically along her arm, clearly proud of her opinion of him. His irises almost appeared to laugh at Damian when Marinette cuddled him closer, much to the slight annoyance of the teenager since her attention was away from himself.

He's a gosh-darn cat. Pull yourself together, he chided mentally.

"Good afternoon, Master Damian," a voice politely greeted.

Said male's eyes averted to the butler's, who seemed to have a knowing glint in his stare as if he could guess what had happened in the room minutes before.

Marinette perked up at Alfred Pennyworth's words, startled at his sudden appearance.

"Good afternoon, Miss Marinette. I see you have met Alfred the cat. He seems to have taken quite a liking to you."

The animal, just to prove his observation, let out a meow, slowly blinking up at Marinette seconds before rubbing his head up against her shoulder blade.