Ten

Marinette's breaths came out in sporadic pants, her chest heaving as she leaned down and placed her hands on her knees. Images flashed vigorously in her mind, bringing her back to her time in Paris and the memories there.

"Don't you know that I love you, Bugaboo?"

"Why are you running, M'Lady? Don't you see we're meant for one another?"

"I don't care how long it takes, but you will be mine!"

Two pairs of miniature paws patted her cheeks, breaking her out of her oncoming panic attack. In front of her, Tikki and Kaalki were floating, sending Marinette doting looks of care.

"Sshh, calm down, Marinette," the ladybug kwami hushed, stroking and parting the Guardian's fringe. "He's not here, I promise. He's back in Paris, remember?"

Marinette nodded, attempting to even out her breathing by taking deep lungfulls of air. The cold oxygen travelled down her throat into the organ, allowing her to inhale and exhale steadily.

"Angel?"

Head whipping back, her eyes caught sight of Damian, who himself noticed that her irises appeared to be slightly dilated. Walking forward, he raised his hands, placing them on the side of her flushed cheeks.

The effect was immediate, as she let out a large breath and closed her eyes whilst looking down. His fingers slowly rubbed circles on her temples, as he assured her of her safety.

"Angel, you're not in any danger," he assured, voice soft. "That boy won't hurt you again."

Straining his ears, Damian managed to make out her breathing pattern eventually slowing, prompting him to stop his soothing actions and pull back to meet her gaze.

A shaky smile overtook her features. "Merci, Damian."

"Pas de problème, Marinette."

~*~*~

Secretly listening from the door, Richard, Jason and Bruce stood, taking in the scene from the room beside them.

"Jesus, Bruce. That girl is damn strong," Jason complained, rubbing his hip in an attempt to soothe the forming bruise there.

"That's what's worrying me," the man answered. "It seems like she's had at the very least self-defense training, and if what I predict is right, it makes perfect sense."

"What, so the little pixie girl over there is dangerous? I mean, she flipped me over pretty hard, but...I'm doubting that."

"No," Bruce denied. "But the people that are looking after her are."

"What do you mean?" Dick questioned. "Ugh. Don't tell me she's part of the League. Baby Bird seems to really like her."

"Me too. She reminds me of you both, in a way."

"Oh, gosh," Jason complained. "He's at it again with the adopting."

"What? I am not-"

"Keep telling yourself that Bruce, keep telling yourself that."

~*~*~

Above the Parisians, grey clouds occupied the equally dull sky, blocking the bright sun from view. Rain drizzled downwards and onto the pavements, puddles forming in the ditches and grooves in the ground.

Though most were rushing to seek shelter, one person, one teenager, was running even further into the storm, hopping onto lampposts and sprinting along slanted rooftops.

Slit emerald eyes narrowed at the brown blotch floating straight ahead in the air, in no particular direction. The golden band settled around the blond's head shifted slightly as he moved, though the jewellery mostly stayed in place.

His lungs began to burn from the strain of the long chase, yet Adrien refused to give up.

After what seemed like endless hours of racing after the kwami, Chat Noir finally managed to lunge forward, yanking Xuppu out of suspension and into his clawed hands.

The monkey thrashed about, frantically throwing his body side to side, to and fro, however, the action was useless. Chat kept his grip tight, jaws clenching and teeth scraping against each other in barely restrained anger.

"I'll say it again, little kwami," he spat, tone level though holding an undertone of irritation. "I suggest you tell me how you can sense another one of your friends and where they are."

"I-I'll never tell you!" Xuppu exclaimed, voice getting more choked as Chat Noir squeezed with his superior strength. "Y-You don't d-deserve the mirac-"

Letting out a growl, Adrien shouted, "Don't you dare say I'm not worthy of this ring! I deserve it after all I've done for Paris! All I've sacrificed! Thanks to my father I've lost the chance to make M'Lady mine!"

Xuppu resisted the urge to nip at the leather-clad teen's fingers, knowing his powers would only cause discomfort for Plagg.

"One. Last. Chance - and I'll word it in simpler terms for you," he threatened, sharp fangs glinting from the sun starting to peek out from behind the clouds.

"How do I find out where Ladybug is?"

The question made the kwami's eyes widen, squirming desperately whilst his body shook as he aimed to faze through the hand keeping him captive.

A cold laugh escaped Chat Noir's lips, shoulders shaking from his apparent amusement. "Good luck trying to fly away using that method. I already prevented you from doing so."

His mouth twisted into a sick smirk, sneer escaping his lips.

"Now," he started.

"As holder of the Monkey miraculous, I order you, Xuppu, kwami of Jubilation, to tell me exactly where my Princess is."