Fourteen

"Auntie?"

The call echoed in the silent home for a few seconds, until a faint crash was heard. It was followed by Harley Quinn stumbling in.

"Sweetie Pie!" the clown cheered, running up to envelop Marinette in a hug. "I was so worried about you!"

"I-It's fine, Auntie. I'm not hurt."

"'Not hurt'? Sweetie, you have scratches all over your face."

Harley tilted the girl's head up with thin fingers, and examined her features with a determined gaze. The heroine blushed and looked down.

"Sorry," she apologised meekly.

The clown smiled, and embraced Marinette again. She assured from atop her head, "Don't worry, I'm not angry. You put up a great fight from what I saw on the news."

She shrugged her shoulders, and after a moment of hesitation admitted, "If anything, it's Pam's reaction you should be worried about - and Selina's."

"Oh no..." the younger one realised with a groan. "When will they be back?"

Laughing, Harley responded, "If you must know, they're practically rushin' here after seeing you on the news."

"Oh, merde...I'm going to be in so much trouble."

Letting out a chuckle, the woman decided, "Now, Honey, let's get you cleaned up."

"Right," Marinette agreed. "Tikki, Kaalki, divide. Tikki, spots off."

There was a flash of green and pink, leaving behind a bluenette and two exhausted kwami. She scooped them up before they hit the ground, and cuddled them up to her cheek.

"Sorry guys, I'll get you some snacks."

"Oh no you don't, Sugar," Harley chided, smirking. "You go lie on the couch with all ya animal friends and I'll deal with that."

Sighing, the designer said, "Thank you," and strolled over to the sofa. As she lay on the velvet, a vine immediately moved to cushion her head, whilst another delicately wrapped around her right leg that dangled off the edge of the furniture.

Marinette let out a small giggle, feeling several leaves tickle her skin. That was when her eyes wandered over to an item on a glass table to the side.

She reached an arm out. The Miracle Box was brought into her lap. Her pale fingers traced the engravings etched on top of it, as she smiled faintly.

However, a frown soon formed on her features at the memory of who had previously owned the box.

All of a sudden, a red blob zipped into the lid, disappearing into thin air. The Guardian exhaled and put the object to the side, then gently placed a limp Kaalki on her shoulder.

The sound of footsteps reached her ears, prompting Marinette to turn her head to see Harley making her way over with medical supplies and food in her hands.

The adult pulled up a stool beside the couch, much to the teen's dismay as she grimaced.

"Ah, ah, ah, don't give me that look, Hun. First we gotta stitch up those gashes, then I'll leave you be."

Harley proceeded to bring a plaster and needle into view, whilst she grabbed a bundle of string. There was silence for several moments.

"Auntie..."

The clown looked up.

"Thank you," the girl spoke softly. "For everything. I don't know what I would have done without you or Aunt Ivy, and I'm so glad I ended up with you guys."