Twenty

"Oh my god, Marinette. You're a life-saver."

Said girl giggled, whilst gazing at the person who had spoken. They were currently stuffing croissants into their mouth at a frantic pace - bliss on their expression. "Calm down, Allegra. You wouldn't want to cause yourself a stomach ache."

"Who cares about a stomach ache when you get to have these?" Claude scoffed. "This beats my breakfast any day."

Marinette blushed with a bashful chuckle. She turned to the student at the desk beside her, quizzing, "Do you want another, Felix?"

He rose a brow, glancing at her in a questioning manner. When she nodded with a bright smile, he hesitantly reached out to grab a cinnamon bun from her tray. On top was a layer of sweet strawberry jam, and it had a filling of pale white buttercream.

"Do you need help on any homework?"

"Oh! No I don't, Allen. Thank you for offering though!"

"You're aware that he only asked because he wanted to trade answers, right Marinette?" Felix deadpanned, making Allen clutch at his heart in false hurt.

She laughed. "I know. I can help you with your French, don't worry."

"What did I say? A life-saver."

Conversation carried on for a few more minutes, consisting of chatter, amusement and talks of school. Marinette let out a discreet sigh of relief. She pointedly ignored the stare that she could sense on her form.

"Hey, Mari?"

She hummed for Allegra to carry on.

"You're from Paris, right?"

The bluenette made eye contact with the blonde. Silence stretched for a dozen moments, until she replied, "Yes...why?"

"That's cool. Do you know who this is? It says on Wikipedia that they're from there."

"Allegra, I've informed you before that it is-"

"Unreliable, I know, but who cares? Mrs Rignoll never catches us using it for our Physics homework, anyway."

She held out her phone, which Marinette slowly took in confusion. The screen that met her had a plethora of text and sources, along with an image that was bold and bright of a boy no younger than her.

He had shining hair, a shade the same as Felix's, and forest green eyes that sparkled with mischief. On his chest was a striped onyx shirt and a light grey jacket. It wasn't possible to tell what else he was wearing, but she had a correct guess already planted in her mind.

"Mari, are you okay? You're looking a little pale," Claude noted, unknowingly catching the attention of more than a few classmates in the room. One a decent distance away narrowed their emerald eyes.

"W-Why did you show me this? How, how did you find out about him?"

"He's visiting Gotham Academy next week."

"What?"

There were a few flinches.

Damian placed his phone back into his pocket, and gripped another item tight in his hand. It had a beeping red dot on its surface.

The teacher at the front - Mr Holmes - gained a concerned expression. "Marinette, are you alright? Would you like to step outside for a minute?"

It felt like there was a weight crushing her chest. The designer stumbled back, clutching at her heart as troubled pants escaped her. She watched with glossy eyes as many tried to get close, just before a familiar friend came into view.