Sixteen

The silence in the room lingered for a few moments, as Marinette's footsteps moved further and further away. However, Harley broke it with a confident snark.

"No point in hiding, Batsy. We know you're there."

After a few seconds, a grunt emanated from the shadows around the open window nearby. A figure dressed in onyx and kevlar melded from the darkness.

"You've been expecting me."

"Yes," Poison Ivy agreed, folding her arms. "We have."

"And we know what- or should I say who you want," Harley carried on for the woman.

Batman appeared to raise a brow beneath his cowl. The duo took it as a silent question for an elaboration on the claim.

"Brucie ain't getting to keep our Honey. She's ours, and it's going to stay that way."

The male let out what sounded to be a sigh. "It's Marinette's choice, I'm afraid. You're technically not her legal guardians, which is why I proposed her adoption to Mr Wayne, who agreed to it."

"Oh, I know why," the clown laughed. "Not only 'cause of her dark hair and blue eyes, but the fact that she's his son's 'friend', too I bet."

Batman's response was interrupted when there was an almost inaudible gasp to the side. The three adults snapped their heads there to see MariQuinn standing with flushed cheeks and an awkward smile.

"H-Hi...?"

The Dark Knight scanned over her outfit, taking in the dyed tips of her hair, familiar script on her shirt, and choker wrapped around her neck. The words etched into its surface made him narrow his eyes, though it was unseen.

"U-Umm, I'll just, uhh..." she fumbled.

"Aaaw, Sugar, that bracelet suits you so well!"

Marinette blushed even more. "T-Thank you," she admonished. "But, I'll be, um, going now. I'm guessing you need to have a conversation?"

Bruce nodded, and input, "Yes, but I think you'll want to sit down. It's about your guardians."

At the way she gulped and minutely paled, Harley deadpanned, "Way to go Batsy. You're making it seem like we're getting arrested or somethin'."

Pamela sent a small glare his way, before walking up to and placing a hand on the girl's shoulder. She assured, "It's nothing bad, my Flower, don't worry."

"Okay..." she said, making her way over to the couch and taking a seat. Her hands found themselves fiddling with each other.

"I'm sure you're aware of your aunts' backgrounds," Batman started, and at her confused nod he begun to explain. "Well, I fear that their past might lead to use of you as a pawn or being in danger because of possible enemies or grudges."

"Yes, I know that there's a chance of that," Marinette revealed, suddenly feeling defensive. "But I trust my aunts to protect me if anything happens."

"I'm not doubting them," he was quick to say. "But I wanted to offer you something in case you're cautious of anything at anytime."

MariQuinn raised a brow, with her lips open in slight shock. "What, what is it?"

"An offer of adoption."

"What?"

"Told ya so, Bats. Brucie ain't gettin' her."

The designer tilted her head, questioning, "Wait, 'Brucie'?"

"She's talking about Bruce Wayne, who I'm sure you know through his son at Gotham Academy."

Marinette fought off the urge to break her cover of knowing his identity, and asked, "So, he's the one who wants to adopt me?"