10. Luminous And Liability

You must love in such a way that
the person you love feels free.

Thich Nhat Hanh

★•.★•.★•.

"I'm fine, I'm close

"I'm fine, I'm close....."

Feeling a tap on my shoulder I looked behind and saw her, our hostel super.

"Miss....?"

It was shocking to see her in the same bus with me. Last time I saw her when she brought my dad and uncle to me as FBI agents. And the next thing I knew that she was on leave. So what was she doing here?

"Ms. Stratton", she said.

"Hi", I only laughed nervously.

She was about to say something but then we both heard a panicked voice coming from my phone. Oh know, I totally forgot about dad. Quickly I tried to calm him down saying,

"I'm okay"

"What's going on there?", he demanded.

"I just met one of my teacher"

"Teacher?", he asked still not fully convinced.

"Yeah, it’s our hostel super. Can I call you back? I'm alright I promise"

"Ok, make sure to call me", he said sternly.

"Yeah, bye", I hung up the phone.

Looking at my teacher, I saw her watching me intensely. It made me uncomfortable but I couldn’t exactly blame her for doing that. Cause she had to be surprised to see me this far away from school.

"Ms. Young, I'm kind of surprise to see you here", I said.

"Same goes for me. Now tell me where are you coming from and why did you go in the first place? Wait...did you try to run off?", she asked in a strict voice which we all were very familiar with.

"What! No. Principal already gave me permission", I tried to make her believe.

She wasn’t satisfied and demanded to know the reason again. And oddly, I didn’t want to tell her. She was good at catching lies so I didn’t want to risk it.

"Fayre, I'm waiting", she insisted.

"I found some of my relatives so I just went to visit them", I said quickly.

"Relatives? How?"

"It’s a long story but good thing I found them, right?", I said not giving away too much.

She softened a bit. Sighing loudly she said,

"Fine. I'll ask the principal myself. But you can't go somewhere just because they are your relatives. You could've gotten hurt or worse. You are too young to understand how the world works", she scolded me pretty good but I was off the hook for now.

The rest of the journey, she was quiet and didn’t said anything but it meant she wouldn’t let this go. Ms. Young was a good person, little strict but good. I was just hoping, she wouldn’t create much obstacle for me.

If only I knew...

★•.★•.★•.

Later at night, I called my father and told him what happened in the bus. He wasn’t very happy with it. But our conversation diverted from this to their case.

He told me all the glory details about how he killed Hitler. Yep, Adolf Hitler. It was sweet to hear him fan-girling over himself. He spent full thirty minutes on this. Then I heard some muffled words, cursing and Sam's voice. Seemed like he succeed to snatch the phone.

"Ignore Dean. He already gave me headache over this and still not stopping", Sam said.

I laughed cause I could picture my dad making faces at his brother. So, I said,

"Well, how many times one could kill the Hitler himself", and Sam just groaned making me doubled over laughter.

We talked a little more, then hung up and went to bed. But it was after midnight when I woke up from my slumber. I looked at my roommate who was sleeping. With a groggy feeling, I started to get up from the bed to fetch a book cause I was sure it would be a while to fall in sleep again.

I was enjoying a song and the book but stopped when I saw something under the door. A golden light. It was the same light from days ago when I first met the Winchesters. My whole body froze. It couldn’t be a coincidence. And after learning about the monsters, I was really afraid this time.

It was like I forgot to move. When the lights simmered down then only I exhaled. Taking a baseball bat from the corner, I opened the door. The sound bounced back loudly in the empty hallway. When I found there was no one, I wasn’t surprise beause somehow I knew I wouldn’t find anybody. So I didn’t know I should be relieved or frightened.

Poking my head out, I double checked the hallway but the answer was same. What was happening? It was a situation that I couldn’t exactly describe. So instead, I decided to splash some water on my face but I  was afraid to go alone in the washroom. I woke my roommate up and luckily without any complaint she came with me.

★•.★•.★•.

My roommate was still in the bathroom. I was waiting outside for her. Cause waiting alone in there in front of mirrors seemed more spooky. Suddenly I heard a hushed voice. I wouldn’t hear it if it wasn’t for the emptiness of the place making The sound echoed easily. Who was there? I was afraid as well as curious.

And of course, curiosity won. So, I followed the voice. I didn’t have to work hard, easily I found the source but couldn’t see who it was as the person was facing the other way. It was a woman for sure who was talking furiously on the phone. I could only hear some words but it was clear she wasn’t very happy with whom she was speaking.

She was about to turn my way but someone called my name loudly so on instinct I glanced back to see who and it was a mistake. Cause when I looked in front of me again, she was gone already.

"FAYRE, what are you doing here?", my roommate asked.

Taking a deep breath I said, "Nothing".

"You told me, you were afraid and now look at you! Wondering in the dark. Let's go"

"You go ahead, I dropped something. I need to find it", I said hoping she would go back. I needed to see the place the mystery person was on.

"No, now I'm afraid to go back alone. Let's go, you can find it in the morning", she started to drag me with her. So, I really didn’t have any choice but to go.

Two things were clear though. One, Something was going on here which I needed to tell my father as soon as possible. Second, whoever the person was now knew my name which meant one thing. I was in danger.