Prologue

"Babe come open up tha do', I got some real good shit ta' tell ya." August said excitedly through the phone.

"Alright, I got something to tell you too" I sighed.

"Alright, just hurry up and come open tha do'"

I drug myself out of bed and walked in my bathroom. I wet a cold rag and wiped it across my face. My head started to hurt thinking about how I would tell August this. This moment came too soon and I wasn't expecting to have to tell him right now. I was going to wait another month, or atleast until I started showing, but the time has come for me to tell him now. I can't get it through my head that we're actually having a child!

I walked downstairs rehearsing how I would say it, "August, I'm pregnant." "I'm pregnant" "We're having a baby!" "You're gonna be a daddy!" No matter how much I said it differently, it never sounded right.

Opening the door, August stood smiling ear to ear. "Hey Baby" His thick New Orleans accent flowed smoothly from his lips. He pecked my cheek and welcomed himself in.

"What took you so long to open tha do'?"

"I was sleep when you called" I lied.

"Ya ya, come on guh I gotta get this out"

"What is it you're so excited about babe?"

"Imma tell you this first cause I love ya' and you know where you at in my heart so ion even have to get into allat mushy shit... Damn, I ain' e'en told my momma yet. Anyways baby, you know how I got into posting them lil videos of me singin' and shit on tha internet? A nigga been discovered and they wanna see what I'm all about! Def Jam contacted John John tha' otha' day and they want me in Atlanta in two days!"

"That's great Aug! I'm very happy and proud of you!" I cracked a smile. It's not showing right now, but I am. With how I'm feeling, it's hard to show any emotion.

"You good Ma? You don't look happy."

"Ye-Yea, I'm fine." I tried to convince him and myself.

"What'd you have to tell me?"

I can't tell him. I can't ruin the start of his possible career like this. This is what he wants, Mel would've wanted, and what I want too. Hell, his whole family and his hood. This is his ticket out of NOLA and I'm not holding him back because of this.

"It was nothing, but Ma is cooking crawfish for dinner tonight and I'm inviting you"

"Ya, I'll come. You must've forgot I know you like the back of my hand? Wassup wit'chu Ma?"

"It's nothing August, damn! ...Baby I'm sorry, it's really nothing. There's a lot going on right now; I've been sick and on top of that I have to deal with graduation in four months and you leaving me now. That's a lot for me to handle. I'm not gonna be able to see you everyday and we rarely might be able to talk on the phone."

"Look Ma, I haven't gotten the deal yet, they just want ta see what I'm 'bout. No matter how this shit play out, there will always be an us. Ok? You don't have I worry 'bout nun. I got'chu and imma always have you... No matter what! All I ask is that you stay down and you continue to be my #1 fan. I love you baby and it will always be that way."

"I love you more August. Promise me you won't forget about me if you do get big in the game... you know?"

"I promise"