1 // darker than the sky with sorrow

"Ma'am, we are sorry but we are closing in ten minutes

"Ma'am, we are sorry but we are closing in ten minutes."

Esme looks up at the waitress and simply nods.

What do you do when you are waiting for a train that you know will never reach the station? You either get another train, or you leave. Or you keep waiting until you become so numb you can't even feel your heart ripping in two.

The sky is getting darker and the crowd is thinning out, but she still can't bring herself to perform the only option she has left now: to leave. Because leaving reminds her that it's all ending; and if not today, right now, then one day it surely will.

"Ma'am, we are closing."

It's a different waitress this time, and she doesn't know why, but it reminds her how people are never constant.

She nods, her lips pressed in a thin line. The door of the cafe seems pretty exciting. The two waitresses, are jamming to the tune, a song she has never heard of.

Underneath the stars

With the smell of pastries and bread

You have brought me this far

Ruling in my heart as well as my head

And when Esme turns to look at them, they are kissing, and she can't help but crack a smile.

She starts walking, back to her home, to her brother and her parents. They would provide comfort to her, she is sure; they somehow always dull her aching heart without even knowing it is there. A cold wind rushes past her and she pulls her coat closer to her. And her home will provide warmth to her, against these bitter winds.

In the silence of the calm streets, her phone rings.

She doesn't need to see the caller ID to know who it is.

"Esme?"

"Jaxon."

"Look, I am so so so sorry I couldn't make it. I know I am in London for only a few weeks before I take off again, but I am so busy right now."

You could have called, Esme almost says, but she doesn't. She never does.

"Okay."

"No. It's not, I... I will make up to you, I promise. But, listen, I really need to go. We need to record a new song soon and... Never mind. Bye, Esme."

She hangs up the phone, expecting her chest to feel lighter. It doesn't. And when she looks at her reflection in a nearby shop's window, her blue eyes have darken more than even the night sky with sorrow.