8 // opposite and like poles

All the oxygen, leaves her body and refuses to get back in because all she could feel right now is Jaxon's lips pressed against hers in the purest way possible

Esme has dreamt of those lips for years, trying to stop herself and convince herself that it's not normal to think about her best friend this way; that she doesn't stand a chance.

But...no. No. Jaxon and her are both like opposite poles and like poles. They may attract, but they can never be together.

So, she moves back like she has been burnt. Jaxon's eyes open wide with regret and fear, and she weakly pushes him away with shaky hands. He takes the hint though, and moves back, giving her some much needed space and she feels like she can breath again.

"I, I am sorry, Jaxon." Esme stutters, staring at him with tear-filled eyes.

Jaxon bites his lips and looks away, and Esme, despite struggling a lot, finds her eyes zeroed on his lips, and when Jaxon notices, her cheeks warm up.

"Tell me, Esme." his deep voice cracks, slightly, as he holds back tears, and it absolutely breaks her "Tell me, you don't feel the same way. Tell me, you don't love me. Look me in the eyes and say so, Esme, and I will stop. But please. Just do. Because I... I knew you felt something too, Esme."

"Jaxon," a tears slips down her eye.

"Please, Esme, please." Jaxon begs, completely crying by now.

Esme is having struggle breathing. How can you look at the moon and tell it to stop shining? How can you look at the waves and tell them to stop crashing? You can't. Then, how can she say to Jaxon she doesn't love him? 

But can she handle it? The spotlight? The loss of privacy? The constant feeling inferiority? She is not Jaxon. Jaxon is the moon. Jaxon is unreachable. Esme isn't. And she could never be.

"I don't..." she clears her throat "I don't love you, Jaxon."

Jaxon's face falls, but he nods, "I am sorry, Esme."

Esme's already out of the limo, though, and she gives one last sad and forlorn look to a broken-hearted Jaxon, before going inside her home.