9 // my future in you

Esme loves her family to death

Esme loves her family to death. They are supporting, loving and caring, and maybe sometimes, even too caring. Like right now.

She has burst through the front door and, ignoring the worried calls of her brother and mother, she has tore down to her room. Her brother, Emmett is knocking on her door already.

"Come on, Esme! Open up! Are you okay?!"

She wants to yell at him to go away, but every cell of her body is refusing to function now. She can't breath, she can't cry, she can't think. She can't do anything. She can only lay on her bed, staring at the ceiling with blank eyes and a blank mind.

Emmett eventually gives up, but it's her mother on the door now. She doesn't knock, just lets herself in.

"What's wrong, Honey?"

But Esme doesn't reply.

"You know you can tell me anything, right?"

Still nothing.

Her mother sighs, but nods, understanding her need of space. She walks towards the door, but then stops.

"Jaxon is at the door. He says he wants to talk to you."

Esme shoots up in bed, "No! No no no! Don't let him in! I don't want to see him!" and then she bursts out into tears.

Her mother is shocked. But she nods. And so for the next five days, Jaxon is practically locked out of the Woods' household. But it doesn't mean he gives up. He is at her doorstep everyday, sitting at the patio and waiting.

For her.

It's the sixth day, the day before Jaxon is going to USA. He doesn't come. Esme believes that he has given up. She should be happy, she knows, but no, it sends a piercing pain through her heart instead.

At 8:30 p.m., there is a shower of pebbles on her window.

At 8:32 p.m., Esme finally opens the window and peeks out, only to find Jaxon standing in her backyard with a guitar in his hand.

At 8:33 p.m., Jaxon strums the guitar and opens his mouth to sing.

A girl living in the shadows

But still soaring high above

Wondering is she's high enough for her

Silence to be heard

At 8:34 p.m., their eyes meet.

They may see a ghost of a girl

Pale white skin and faded blue eyes

But do you know what I see?

At 8:35 p.m., Jaxon's voice cracks as he stares at her, his eyes filled with tears.

I see us with a little boy

With stormy hair and laughing eyes

I see us with a little girl

Who looks like me and you combined

I see us in a cozy home

In the silence of the countryside

I see my future in you

I see my whole life

At 8:36 p.m., Esme slams her window shut, and cries herself to sleep.