4 // save me from drowning

Esme studies him carefully, as he scribbles down word after word into his songbook, inspiration sinking in his blood

Esme studies him carefully, as he scribbles down word after word into his songbook, inspiration sinking in his blood. He has always been talented. That, along with his looks has made Jaxon Brooks a top selling artist at just 18 years of age.

That's one of the thing she admires in him. He wants the whole world, but in his heart and not in his palms. He wants to be the moon and Esme?

Esme is just a star in his life. There are a million others, shining way brighter and closer to the moon.

"I got it!" Jaxon exclaims, nearly throwing his pen down. He leans back into his chair and gives her a lopsided smile, grey eyes crinkles at the sides "Thanks to you."

Warmth spreads through Esme's chest. She smiles. She tries not to but she couldn't. Not when Jaxon is looking at her like that; like she is his whole world.

She shouldn't think like that, but she couldn't help it. Burying feelings deep inside don't mean they are gone. They are just hidden, underneath layers and layers of protective shells. At least in her case.

"Hey, um," when Esme looks at him, he has a nervous smile on his face "Look, there's a charity concert I'll be performing in a few weeks. It's in London only. And I was wondering if you would like some backstage passes then..."

"Backstage passes?"

Does this mean she would get to see him more? She knows she is treading too deep and that the water is dangerous. One wrong step and she would be drowning, and Jaxon would either save her, or not.

And even if he does, Esme knows she won't accept his help. Never.

But before she can even think, she is nodding her head in a 'yes'.

Jaxon grins happily, and runs over to her, picking her up and giving her such a big hug that Esme can't breath.

With her face still buried in his chest, Jaxon sings, a few lines from his song 'Take a look'.

Take a look at the world tonight

Isn't it beautiful?

And even the stars in the sky

Know you are my world

Esme closes her eyes and savour the moment, his arms and scent around her, and thinks maybe, maybe, if he tries saving her, she will reach for him, after all.

And that scares her.