10 // to USA

"We will miss you

"We will miss you." his mother cries, encasing his taller frame in a tight hug.

"Indeed," his father says, patting his back just the way he used to when he was a little boy and finally learnt to correctly pronounce his 'r's "We are so proud of you, son."

"I'll miss you too." Jaxon whispers in his mother's embrace.

And he would too. But right now, his eyes are searching for someone else too. His mother notices, and assures him that she will come. He just hopes that she is right.

The night Esme slammed the window on his face, was the night, he cried himself to sleep, cradling his broken heart. Many nights will follow, and they would be much more painful, he just doesn't know that yet.

All he knows right now, is that he scared his best friend of 15 years away. Three years of high school didn't drift then apart but three words did.

His heart soars with hope when the Woods' red Honda pulls in front of the airport. He waits eagerly as everyone gets out. Mr Woods, Mrs Woods, Emmett...

No Esme.

His heart lurches.

They all give him a hug, giving him their best wishes and hoping his next album would be as successful as the last one.

He appreciates it, he really does. Their love and care for him never fails to touch his heart but... Esme?

"Mrs Woods," he starts, hesitating for some reason "Where's...where's Esme?"

No one tells him. No one tells him anything but the guilty glance that Mr and Mrs Woods share, and the way Emmett stiffens tells him all that he needs to know.

She doesn't want to see him...

Jaxon's heart breaks into a million pieces but he doesn't show it. Or, at least, tries not to.

"Well, I should probably go."

It's difficult to speak with the lump in his throat and to see with the tears in his eyes, but he somehow manages.

"Wait, Jaxon!" Emmett holds his shoulder "Esme wanted me to give this to you."

A letter.

Her letter.