6 // under the moonlight

Esme tries hiding away in the leather seat of the limo

Esme tries hiding away in the leather seat of the limo. It has tinted windows, but she still feels so exposed to the world that she could not breath, a scratching pain burning in her lungs.

She is not okay. She never was.

But now, watching Jaxon, watching her whole world and more sitting right beside her, and still seemingly miles away, squeezes her heart.

"Are you okay?"

No. She is not. She is not. She doesn't belong here. With him. At his side. She doesn't belong with the one person she calls her home, the one person with whom she talks to, the one person who doesn't care about her because they are of the same blood.

She spent hours staring at her reflection in her phone, trying to make sense of herself. But all she could think of is a stranger. Who is she? Who is Esme Woods?

"Stop the limo." Esme breaths through her gritted teeth.

"What?"

"Stop. The. Limo."

The limo screeches to a halt, and and she jumps out of it, her chest heaving up and down. They are at an enough distance from the concert venue, so that no one can recognize them, or Jaxon, whatever.

She takes off running, and soon hears footsteps behind her.

"Esme! Esme, wait!"

She stops.

Jaxon quickly catches up to her, breathing heavily. "What's wrong, Esme?"

And that's the exact same reason she stopped. Because she doesn't know. She doesn't know what's wrong with her and why she is feeling this way.

Except, when she looks at Jaxon under the moonlight, examining his grey eyes and his dark hair, she realises that he means way more to her, way more than any friend. It happened over the years, gradually.

No, no she doesn't want to admit. But...

She, Esme Woods, is in love with Jaxon Brooks. Her best friend, her partner on crime. A famous singer.

This can't be happening.